1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me bid!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by YPLLLC, Dec 8, 2008.

YPLLLC Senior Member

Hey guys new to pricing subdivisions and really need detailed help on pricing these two. I am pricing these as a sub for someone else. What would you charge for them? Please let me know ASAP I am looking to get about $85/hour as a sub. I dont think thats to high. Please help me bid these!!!!! This is for a price per push and does not include salt!!! THANKS

979 west lake drive.JPG

1450 riverwood.JPG

YPLLLC Senior Member

I have to give the bid fairly soon, THANKS!!

YPLLLC Senior Member

no ideas????
  4. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

If you have been reading P.S. very long, you should have found out that they guys need a lot more information on the equipment that you have to use and how big the area is. Maybe you could just drive the streets and see how long it takes you to give yourself an idea. Of course you will have to figure in the driveways also. How big are they. Do you have to take the snow from one place to another to get it out of the way?
    It all takes time and time is money.

YPLLLC Senior Member

Hey ya totally did not even think of saying what I am using. It is a Snoway 7'6" and this contract is just for the streets not the driveways, also in no area does the snow need to be moved to, I am told to bid it as if i was just like the highway department plowing it. Total amount of streets for both combined is roughly 8 miles. I think it will be 4 passes which makes it a "total" of 32 miles and that is basically 4 hours if i go 8mph. and then i figure an hour for doing intersections and what not. Do those numbers make sense? Or am I way off?
  6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

r u trying to be a sub or get your own accounts?

YPLLLC Senior Member

We have a few of our own accounts but am bidding out some sub work to fill time. This is for being a sub
  8. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

$85 an hr per truck is decent money, but your gonna beat the heck outta your 1/2 tons plowing streets
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Those trucks and blades are not made for clearing streets like said above. You are going to do more damage then you make in money. And why did you buy 3 new 1/2 ton trucks for plowing anyways?
  10. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Let alone Toyota's?
  11. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

Toyota has a stronger frame by design then chevy/GMC. At least back when I did my research in 2004. Ford was the strongest. Still don't know if they would lsat plowing roads though. Hope you just leased them! LOL
  12. atgreene

atgreene Junior Member

I would strongly recommend that you not attempt to plow roads with a 1/2 ton truck and 7 1/2' blade. No matter who makes the truck, a 7 1/2' blade is not made for that type of plowing. Just my 2 cents.
  13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Normally I'd help give you some specifics .... Snoway is a good plow and I have done public streets with them. The issue is you need at least an 8.6 to be serious. Secondly, toyota has no better frame than gm and in fact the front end is a pile of crap. Yes I did look at them seriously. The nex gen of toyota will have it right.

You'll be making 6 passes, not 4. It's not as easy as nearly dividing the street width by plow width.

You could simply switch the blade out for a larger one and keep everything else. Get a snow deflector as well.
  14. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Also remember that the snow being pushed from the first pass from the middle to the edge will be pushing against you on your second pass in the same direction so that will slow you down as well as fight you keeping the steering wheel cocked to fight it back. You will at the least be making 2 passes per side of the road. I have a 9' with pro wings and make one pass down the center of the road and then one on each side.
    Another thing is IF you get this make sure that you will not be responsible for curb repair if you should happen to hit one and break it. I plow subdivisions under construction and the final layer of black top is not on there yet so the road is lower than the curb, very easy to chip and or crack curbs and very expensive to repair in the spring.
    Good luck
  15. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Thanks for the input everyone!!! I got the bid but had to settle for $60 an hour. oh well, and ya i know that this blade is not good for streets, but right now i am taking whatever I can get. In the long run I do not plan on doing streets. Also I did not just buy the trucks for plowing, in fact only one will have a plow. I own a landscaping company and the last few years we have ran two trucks (toyotas) this year, after having a successful year we decided to trade in the trucks for some V-8's and because we liked toyota so much for the last few years we traded 2 for 3 and thats where i stand. If anyone wants to ridicule me for buying foreign trucks please find the other thread where it seems to be very popular to put down anyone who does not buy american!!!!!!! THANKS
  16. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Not to be a jerk but I think you should work on your negotiation skills. I'm just trying to help you here not ridicule you. You took $60 instead of $85 for your time that's a 30% discount that the contractor you are working for received. You put yourself in a tight spot if you plan on doing more work for this company because he knows you will significantly lower your price. I know you need the work, I get it, but there are instances where you have to walk if the negotiations begin to move out of your favor. Again, I'm not trying to bust b@lls but rather trying to help.
  17. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Ya i agree with you, however the $85 was basically a guess on my behalf as to what subs were getting out here in St. Louis. After I said 85 he told me i was on the high side, he came back with 55 and we settled on 60 i know its less than I wanted but im gonna trust his word for now about the sub prices unless i find out otherwise. Thanks for your imput though i do appreciate it
  18. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

$55 for 1/2 tons straight blades up to $70 for 1ton or 3/4 vplows and the knowlege of driver, is the going rate here in the midwest, for subs !!
  19. plownoob

plownoob Senior Member
    from ny

I called an ad for subs in my area. Guy said he pays $55/hr for 1ton vblades and cgl. I'd do it if I find a beater plow truck...not with the rig I have now.
  20. 02 Stroked

02 Stroked Member

Man that's really cheap. I get $85 an hour to sub out my 1 ton with an 8 foot poly here in Saint Louis.