1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

PLEASE help, MAN without plow, and the snows piling uP!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bernard, Jan 29, 2005.

1. bernard

bernard Junior Member

I have an old pick-up with an old western hydralic/electric plow. I have had a number of problems with this but have gotten by until now. It seems as if the plow will not raise regardless of what I do. The weight of the plow allows it to lower. The plow won't turn either direction as well.
    I can here the motor of the plow although it does not have any effect. I have attempted to thaw it out a number of times, with a torch and then with electric magnetic heaters, no dice. Its a nice day today in upstate NY and I have been fooling around with it all day.
    I have attempted to move the ram manually and add hydralic fluid. The electric motor sounds as if it is working although its straining.

Please, if you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated as I cannot plow my 3/4 mile snowy driveway. Thanks!
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

Did you try taking out the filter and cleaning it out? Sometimes ice crystals will clog the screen - trying to thaw out the sysytem can take forever because you have to raise the temp of a large area so much to thaw the filter out - it's easier just to take the filter out and blow it out.
  4. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

might sound stupid but wrap some insulation around the thing, put a 100 watt light bulb inside the insulation....this should thaw it enough to see if the problem clears up--if it does, sounds like you need to check the filter/fluid for water/ice as described above.

Good luck!