1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please help left/right ?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kshamper114, Dec 12, 2009.

1. kshamper114

kshamper114 Junior Member

I have a Western Unimount plow on a 03 GMC p/u. I hooked it up the other day and worked fine. When I went to plow with it I was not able to angle it. When the plow is lifted I can push the plow left and right by hand. When I push left or right on the joystick the plow turned slow or not at all. Sometimes when I jerked the joystick it would move a little. It moved right better than left. That night I checked the fluid and it was low. I refilled the fluid and angled the plow left and right to bleed the lines(just in case).
    So this is what I have done so far.
    I have put it inside to see if there was water in the fluid that may have froze.
    I took off S2 and S3 and cleaned them out.
    I have cleaned all contacts and put dielectric grease on all of them.
    My next move is to drain all the fluid out and to replase the filter to see if there is any air in the system.
    It seems to move ok now but I am still able to push the plow left and right.
    Any other suggestions?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you wiggle harness (truck side) there maybe a bad wire. You made you you had 12v at solenoids S2 and S3? Did you test the solenoids?

Or there could be a possibility you might have a bad controller.

Here are some test procedures

Control test

Joy.jpg
    joy1a.jpg

cartridge S1,S2, S3 test

cart.jpg
    cart1.jpg
    crt2.jpg

cart.jpg

cart1.jpg

crt2.jpg

Joy.jpg

joy1a.jpg

3. twinman326

Just in case the pump test

pump1.jpg

pump.jpg

pump1.jpg

pump.jpg

4. kshamper114

would the controler being bad make it possiable to push the plow back and forth?

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

how far back and forth? if you can push it all the way you have something stuck in the crossover.

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if you follow the pics posted by twinman and take apart the crossover, have a rag in hand and capture EVERYTHING that comes out of that passage. don't lose the ball or seat or you will be SOL.

7. twinman326

There is a diagram on post #3 for the "crossover"

8. kshamper114

Well I think that I have found the problem. I took out the crossover from the back of the pump(near the solenoids). The o-ring is broke letting the hydro fluid by. I will get a new one tomorrow and fix it(fingers are crossed).
    The only problem is is that the front one I cannot get off. I have been trying with a screwdriver and no luck. I have to find something a little stronger so that I do not strip it out.
    I would like to replace alll of the o-rings now that I am checking them all. Poractive P.M.

9. kshamper114

Thanks all for the advice.

10. twinman326

you can apply a little heat just to warm it up..I had to do that to my "quill" adjustment screw.