1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help. I dont know western plows!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BigJ, Nov 10, 2012.

1. BigJ

BigJ Junior Member
    from CO

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Thats an old "uni-mount" straight blade but the headlight tree and hydraulic unit are missing. You may be able to find a mount for this to fit an old truck but they stopped making these more than ten years ago I believe. What you could do is buy an ultra-mount (which will be redily available for any truck) and then buy an ultra to uni adapter. But be prepared to pay $$$$ You not only need the vehicle mount and the adapter but a wiring and control system as well. Just looking at whats in the photo I would guess you are in for at least $2000 in essential parts and that is when you can do all the installation and wiring yourself. Where I work we call this a "bucket plow." People come from the auction with a bucket of parts and ask us to make it work in a late model truck. You can ge a new HTS plow installed for just over $5000 here. Think carefully my friend before you go forward with this deal. Ask them if the plow is complete (as the photo only shows the blade, no headlights, no tree, no hydro unit) If the price is very low and they have all the missing pieces including the controller and all the harnesses then maybe, if you are a good mechanic it might be worthwhile.

A last thought is that it may be a cable plow? That means its a very old unit that has a mechanical joystick that moves the valves via cable linkage.

3. BigJ

BigJ Junior Member
    from CO

Thanks for the heads up. If I need to screw around with the adapter to fit a newer mount then forget it. He did say he has controls for it but whatever...

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That's not a Uni-mount, probably at least a decade early for that. It's an old conventional, with the hydraulic pump underhood, and cable controls. Likely early 80's at the newest, and waaaaay overpriced.............

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

That is interesting, the springs are kinda funny I thought for a uni. This thing is so old I have never serviced or even seen one in the 8+ years that I have been doing Western service and installs. So that means that when you look for parts or service you will get the same dumbfounded response from most Western dealers that I provided. Only the "old timers" will have any experience with it. I would avoid this thing like the plague.

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Ditto......

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Agreed .... It's is a very very old plow..althought very well taken care of it is way over priced....good luck getting anything to actually make it work, you'll spend more on parts than a brand new plow..... These plows are great for turning into skid steer plows....

8. KTLawnCo

KTLawnCo Member
    from VA

Not worth 1700...