1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help I cant get my plow on

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rnolloth, Dec 19, 2009.

1. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

Hey all, hopefully someone can help.Im trying to get my plow on but i dont seem to have any power.I plug the controller in and i have no power.I cant remember if the controller will power up without the plow hooked up.I have ran a jumper cable from the battery to the plow its self trying to eliminate a ground issue.Thanks in advance for any help Ryan.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

What brand plow?????????????????

3. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

Srry its a 9foot stright blade.Its about 6 years old.It has the smrthitch switch on the side of plow.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The controller should power up with or without the plow attached (how else could you attach it with the smart hitch? :D)

Check the black/red power wire for 12V. Should be tapped into the fuse panel. Check the 10 AMP inline fuse in it as well.

Also check the small brown wire under the hood for good ground. Should be attached to the neg battery terminal and to one of the two small terminals on the motor solenoid. Check it at BOTH locations.

If that all checks out use a test light to backprobe the solid black wire right at the controller connector plug. Should have 12V.

Be sure the ignition key is on for all your 12V checks.

5. tuney443

Good thing you said smarthitch,otherwise no one would know you have a BOSS. Put your power switch on and place your controller in ''float'' mode. Then hit your smarthitch toggle switch.

6. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

Thanks for the replys,ive got power at the controller,the brown wire from the battery to solenoid is good and the black and red wire is good at the fuse box.Anybody have anyother ideas?The controller is only 2 years old and it worked fine when the plow was put up and the controller has been in my center console all year.Im stumped.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Disconnect the controller, use a couple jumper wires and jump the black, blue and the white/black pins together on the back side of the connector plug with the ignition key on. If the left wing attempts to extend then it either has no ground on the brown wire or the controller is defective..

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

Disconnect (unplug) the black and red main power cables outside the vehicle. Use a knife or small screwdriver and slightly spread the connectors inside the rubber housing. The mail plugs on each connection have a split in the middle and sometimes need to spread a little to make good contact. The newer plows aren't like that any more, they have no split in the middle of the steel probe, the older units do. Check this once and see what happens. The little electrodes should be spread a little and the connection should push together a little snug. See if this works.

9. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

Ok so i jumped the 3 wires and the plow attempted to move.Does this mean that the controller is bad?Thanks again for the help.Ryan.

10. tuney443

B+B is the expert here but it sure sounds like you have a bad controller.Sorry about my former advice--I didn't read your symptoms correctly.I don't know what kind of controller you have but I was able to repair my joystick last month from a stupid oopsy I incurred.I'm sure B+B will come back shortly.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the controller is defective if you also verified that you do have ground there on the brown wire as well Ryan. Like anything electronic, the controllers can die without warning.

However you may want to disassemble it so you can check the wires on the on/off switch for continuity through the switch itself. Often times that's all that goes wrong with them.

12. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

HeyB&B thanks alot for the help.I just went out and checked the on/off switch.It tesetd good.But i did find that the brown wire at the controller doesn't provide a ground.Do you know where its supposed to be grounded?I have ground at the solenoid on 1 of the small terminials thought it doesnt appear to be brown.I was thinking off just running a new ground from the controller.Do you think thats a possability?Man thanks again for the help your a lifesaver.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It definitely needs ground on the brown at the controller so that's why I stressed that so much. And that brown wire at the controller is the same brown wire at the motor solenoid and at all four of the relay in the harness...and is the same brown that should be connected to the negative battery terminal. So, if it has ground at the motor solenoid and at the relays (if you check it) but not at the controller then it's broken/damaged somewhere between the relays and the controller plug.

Where it passes through the firewall is the first place I would check but if a quick look finds nothing then just add a new temporary ground wire and tie it in near the controller plug. You can find and fix the root cause at a later date.

14. rnolloth

rnolloth Junior Member

B&B thanks again!!! I went back and the damn thing is working on its own now.Either way im going to run a new ground for the controller just to be safe.Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas.