1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please help. I am being told I can put 7' 6" boss V on my 2006 f 150 4x4

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Tholmes1, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Tholmes1

Tholmes1 Junior Member

Two boss dealers told me that I can run the 7' 6" power v plow on my 2006 ford f150 4x4. I am also being told that it is just too much weight. The plow weighs 700 lbs plus 75-105 lbs for the vehicle mount. A dealer said that if I put timberons on my front suspension which are only a few hundred dollars that I will be fine. Has anyone seen or tried this plow on a 1/2 ton? I would really like to buy this plow if it will not be a problem. Any comments are helpful Thanks.
  2. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Not that particular plow, but we've run 7 1/2' plows on 1/2-tons for years without problems. Timbrens are good, along with some weight in the back. I think there may be issues with this out East where they get concrete for snow, but in Utah your snow is dry and fluffy like ours.
  3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

if you were around me i would say go for it... but since your not competition ill be honest with ya...
    that plow is way to much weight, sure your truck might be able to drive down the road with it... but can it push that much snow - remember not all snowfalls are light and fluffy... and be prepared to replace your front end... often...
    so if you like to throw away money than sure go for it.

otherwise get the midweight 7'2"plows that are designed specifically for 1/2 tons
    happy plowing!!
  4. bigmac1276

bigmac1276 Member

I ran a boss 7'6" straight blade on a 1/2 ton ram and all I did was raise the torsion bars, and ad heavy duty shocks. Now I will agree with the fact that you might have to change somethings out on the front end often. I have ran that plow on the truck for 3 seasons and before I started I beefed up the front end. I just spent about $1000 replacing axles, wheel hubs, and differential work.
  5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Please. Pushing the snow is not a problem. As long as you have good tires (MADE FOR THE APPLICATION!) and are well weighted, you will be fine, especially since a 7' 6" is such a small blade in the first place. The real thing you have to worry about is front end wear and tear. You will have quite a bit of problems down the road in a hurry.
  6. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

This application is not recommended by Boss, weight of the plow exceeds the allowable ratings for the truck. We do recommend our 7-1/2 Sport Duty Plow though.
  7. fffowler

fffowler Junior Member

I personally run a 7 1/2' Boss Standard Duty. My 2005 F150 carries it with almost no squat. I also have a lift in the truck however which included some heavier springs. I have heard of a 7.5 V on a F150 somewhere on here though. Whatever you do just take it easy and don't get rammy! It will last forever with some maintenance
  8. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

ive run a half-ton with a vblade and the truck did fine pushing it. It is a couple hundred lbs more than a straight blade so you will get a loose front end quicker but the time a v-blade will save you is awesome. Pros and cons to everything but your truck will be able to push it. To help the front end out, put 500lbs in the back your truck. When I had my half-ton I put 4 150lbs pales in the back of the rear axle. Plowed like a tank.
  9. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I should of ask if you have the 5.4 or the 4.6?

My half ton had the 5.9l in it so I would run out of traction before power. My front end also was beefed up with 2500 parts. A friend has the 4.7l in a newer dodge half ton and he says he has enough power, but the newer trucks just arent built like use to be. He has had anything and everything go wrong from a transmission to the power steering pump.
  10. elecblu

elecblu Member

The question of "could you'' is yes , but the reality of ''SHOULD YOU'' is NO.
  11. N_Greenscapes

N_Greenscapes Junior Member

I know of a couple guys on this site that run 1/2 tons in my area. One guy runs a 8.2v and a 12-14ft. swing-wing on a 02 ram regular cab short box. I've watched his plow in action and that thing is awesome. He mainly does driveways and small commercial lots which its perfect for. The other guy is Jon Geer. Do a search for some of his posts on here. He has some pics of some truely awesome rigs including a half ton chevy. And if the truck allows you to be more efficient and make more money it might be worth some extra money spent on the front end. IMHO. Hope this helps.
  12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

First thing you would need to do is find out what the GVW of the front axle is on the truck ?? If it has at least 3900 [The 4100-4200 HD package is the best] you would be fine. Timbrens are nice when you hit a bad pothole so that the spring doesnt have to do it all. That plow is about 100lbs more than older Fisher 7 1/2' plows from the 80s-90s, when that was always just considered a standard weight for a half ton and people have plowed many millions of miles with them on half tons.[ The frame on your 150 would appear to be alot deeper than the frame of a 1980s F150?]
    For some reason this site is loaded with sidewalk experts; on the possible damage that installing a full sized plow on a half ton pickup?? 99% of what they are spewing ;is based on something they heard someone else spewing. They probably have zero knowledge of the possible added wear factor of a 700lb plow vs a 500lb plow, as to how much faster brakes, or tierod ends, or ball joints may or may not wear.[ One nutcase told me I wouldnt get 500 miles before the whole front end would need to be replaced]
    First of all when the plow is on the ground it wouldnt have ANYTHING to do with the wear of those parts anymore than a smaller plow would. So you would need to determine how much time you are going to be running around with the plow up in the air traveling with it. 500 miles a winter 1000 miles a winter 10,000 miles a winter ??? That would in fact be the big factor on how much extra stress the weight would have on parts.
    I have run a couple of big Vs on F150s since 2007 and they work fantastic[These Fisher Vs weigh about 830lbs] I have a friend that just installed an 8 1/2' V on his 1500 Silverado and it is performing great for him.
    Weather it will push it ;;is NOT a factor;; it will NO PROBLEM................ same as they always have pushed 7 1/2 ft plows they dont push any different now than they did when I started using them in 1973 ???? Why would they??? There is a certain following of people that would even tell you that a 90" plow is all that a 3/4 HD can handle.................. of course others will run a big 9" er and have pro wings and be out to 11ft on width. How much faster that 200 additional pounds of weight would have on bearings and axles and tie rod ends is probably almost unmeasureable on decent roads if you are putting less than a few thousand miles per winter, with the plow on, and UP in the air.[pretty normal mileage unless you are doing commerical work in other towns] I ran one for two of the worst snow seasons we have had in years 2007/2008 when we had 200 inches of snow both years and when I sold it the dealer did a compleate inspection of the front end and they told the buyer that EVERYTHING looked and measured NORMAL on the front end of the truck; as the buyer was aware the F150 had the V plow on it for two seasons. I saw him this summer; and he told me he has had ZERO problems with the truck since he purchased it .
    So take alot of this free advice on here with a grain of salt; as most of the time; you will find that the ones that have had front end problems; probably would have had it anyway; "without the plow on there" as the trucks have been thrashed in 4X4 and abused .
    Good luck to you; and if I were to advise you ;Go ahead and slap it on and plow your brains out!
    But beware that every place you go the "experts" are going to say as you get outta the truck "Gosh thats an awful big heavy plow for that little 150 aint it" I tell em its just for show and that when it snows I just use a piece of cardboard in front of the grill..........................
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  13. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

To run that plow on an F150, you need the plow prep package on it. It must have an 8 ft. bed to have the plow package. I would stick with a straight blade, like the Sport Duty. Even that plow will cause the front to drop a little. Timbrens would be recommended on a regular F150. If you have the plow prep package, you can have the V blade with no problem.
  14. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Here is some side info for you on F150s ............... they come in many different configurations and most people have no idea how much stuff is included some of these configs. The "snowplow" pckg used to also referance the so called "Heavy Duty Half Ton" these options have been around for years but people are so price oriented nowadays they seam to be more tuned into a stereo or sliding rear window to realize they just bought a truck with car springs under it.
    Not to drone on about all this but here is an eye opener for most folks . A HD Half Ton F150 has larger Rear Ends in it and larger axles and larger bearings [although it still only has ONE unlike the F-250 that has inside and ourside bearings] it has 41-4200 GVW springs HD Shocks and 7 lug wheels instead of 6 so it is really a different animal than say a new 2011 F150 with a 3450 front axle ??? So there is 150s and there are 150s. Around here; since the manufactures went into 3/4 tons or no warrantee policys; foks buy 150s and snag out the front springs; and either replace them with FX4[3900lb] springs [$200] and just throw on a plow; or if they are going to run a really heavy plow they install the HD springs 41-4200 according to the year and a set of Timbrens; and away they go.
    Now if you are going to plow COMMERCIALLY; and plan to be driving many thousands of miles; with the plow up in the air; then you better start looking into a HD 3/4 ton truck . But for folks to right away throw out the opinion ;that the truck wont handle a 6-700lb plow; or even more absurd; that it might not be able to push it is really totally incorrect. I run about a thousand pounds of ballast in my body; to offset and ballance the 830lb plow on the front; and have very aggressive tires, that are studded, and have no problem plowing almost anything you could imagine. Another guy that plowed here for years, and had touble plowing drives with his old 3/4 ton junker with open rearends and bald tires, lost customers to us the minute we started plowing with a V and set up correctly. Read between the lines on some of this stuff and you will get the answer quickly. If your truck doesnt have the heavy springs change them before you start they are not expensive and DONT get talked into a "lift kit" you dont need it and it will cause all kinds of other problems ........... happy plowing!
    ps your GVW rating is right inside your door jam ??? 3600 GVW is pretty standard on F150s without special packages on it ;and is too light; for a plow like your thinking about so check that out first and you will know what your up against.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010