1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help, broken key switch linkage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jleonard, Feb 16, 2003.

1. jleonard

jleonard Junior Member

Here is my dillemma. I have a 1985 Chevy Silverado, k-10, automatic, with tilt wheel p/u. My problem is this. For about a month the truck would not start right away when you turn the key switch, it kind of felt funny too. Then all of the sudden, the truck would not start at all and the switch felt way different like the resistance in the switch was gone. I pulled the steering wheel, blinker assembly, removed the tilt wheel spring and torx bolts and what I found was this. The rod that extends down along the steering column to the ignition switch has a broken connection up top just on the other side of where the tilt adjusts. I can start the truck if I grab the rod and pull up on it with a pair of small vice grips. In taking everything apart I did find the broken piece, it is the piece that is at the same level as the key switch on the opposite side of the steering column, it is metal and about 3 inches long with teeth on it. This piece somehow connects to the rod that travels down along the column but I don't know how to go any further with the repair. Do I have to drop the whole column, take the tilt apart or what. I can't figure it out, any help on this would be great. Thanks...
  2. Willie

Willie Member

If you have a Fax machine? Call the dealer and ask him to fax you a exploded parts picture of the steering column. Our go down and get a copy. That should tell you what part you need to order and give you a idea of how to repair it.

It does sound like you might be having a problem with the key slave to. While you have it all a part I'd replace it to.