1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please Help Asap Western Ultra Prob

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by choniglandscape, Feb 21, 2008.

1. choniglandscape

choniglandscape Junior Member

Hi, I have a storm coming tomorrow, I have an 05 Ram with 7 1/2' ultramount. It seems to only want to angle when plow is down, it wont raise all the way, and is making a funny noise when the motor runs. When Raised If I hit the controller motor makes a noise but plow does not move. Drop it down and it will angle. Seems like system is airbound.. But this unit has a breather on the top of the pump. Ok, secondly, If I open the fill plug fluid bursts out upon opening. This would mean the system is over full??? if I raise it a little and check no fluid comes out and i am able to add a little. I am pretty sure i am doing something wrong, but I cant make it through another storm with it acting up like this. Please help.:cry:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the fluid reservoir and make sure the pickup tube didn't fall off the pump and is lying in the bottom of the reservoir. Very common problem on the Ultra's and results in the classic symptoms that's your describing.

3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

It sounds like it got low on fluid and aerated the fluid. When the fluid came out was it all frothy with little bubbles? If so let it settle for a while, to get rid of the bubbles, then angle the plow back and forth. DON'T LIFT IT! or it may suck the frothy bubbles into the pump. Now let it settle again. Check fluid level again.If you have a shop or garage all the better, the fluid will settle(bubbles pop) quicker, the warmer the fluid is.

4. choniglandscape

yes it was frothy.. Ok , I tried to drain fluid but the drain plug is rusty and stripped(was like this when i bought it) How do I remove reservoir? last week before last storm I attempted it, I removed the 4 small screws that hold the res. on, I could get it to move, by wiggling it but could not get it off.. any ideas?

5. choniglandscape

as far as the air, I should hook it up to truck, angle left and right a bunch of times, let fluid settle for 5 minutes? then check fluid? I did notice when I was plowing if i moved it alot fluid was coming out of the breather on top of pump... THANKS FOR THE FAST RESPONSES GUYS I will be working on this all morning untill I get it solved.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's normal for it to airete the fluid if the pickup tube is off..

The reservoirs can be a real pain to remove after they've been on a long time. Many times you have to destroy it to remove it so before you do I'd highly suggest buying a replacement resevior and O-ring ahead of time.

Do not use an open flame type heat source as an attempt to loosen the grip it has on the manifold housing. But a few hammer blows in the right place may be required.

7. choniglandscape

ok, I will try it in about an hour, yea i did get it down about an inch the other day, should I remove the entire pump from the frame first? or remove res. while on frame?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you can get the reservoir mounting screws out (not excessively corroded), you can leave the pump on the lift tower.

9. choniglandscape

ok. I will try and then post my findings..Anything I need to do special when re-filling?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

While you have the reservoir off, if you find the pickup did in fact fall off the pump Western has a retainer kit out just to fix the pickup fall out problem. Pick one up at the dealer.

Refill the reservoir and cycle the plow up and down a few times and then angle it left to right. Don't run it too much before letting it set to allow any air trapped in the fluid to separate. If you rush it you'll have a much tougher time getting the air out and the proper amount of fluid in.

Make sure the lift cylinder is fully collapsed before filling and topping it off.

11. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

It's all up to you B&B. I'm a Meyer man. I haven't done that much inside a western.

12. choniglandscape

Thanks a bunch guys B&B you were right on. 1 tap with runnber mallet and off she came, works like a charm!!!!!