1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please help ASAP. Western 1000 Not working

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Banger, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Banger

Banger Member

I need some help if you can. Just got done wiring up the Western 1000 and at the cab control I get a SOLID RED LIGHT ONLY. Looked at the PDF file on Westerns site and it says it a FAULT!

What would should I look for now. Checked all the usual stuff like loose , bad fuses or loose connections. All seem to be good. Electrical is not my strong point by any means. I could have built a room addition in the time it took me to wire this thing up, lol!

I have 2 wires left over.... One is the ORANGE 14G CHMSL and the other is the 14G YELLOW Accessory wire /circuit. Didnt think I need either one of them since I'm not running a Center High Mount Light or spot light ect.... Do I need to have that ACC wire hooked up?

BTW... this is the 4 pin hookup with the Vairble speed controller (PWM)

We may get some snow and ice tonight / monday and I may already screwed!.

Thanks for any help.
    Tom

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The ACC wire needs to be hooked up to a "key on" power source if I remember correctly.
    I would go look at my wiring but my truck isn't close to me tonight.

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

yeah, im pretty sure my acc is hooked directly to the ignition spot in the fuse block. on mine the left side is where you have to plug it into also not the right blade.

4. Banger

Banger Member

Thanks guys..

I will forsure hook that acc wire up 1st thing in the morning. The issue was the lower bearing was froze / rusted in place. So I guess it was tripping the cab controller to fault status. Makes sense I guess.

I popped two 30's @ the battery so I knew I had some issues more then when I 1st posted.

So I started my electrical run down and found I had no power to the spreader nor nothing comming out of the WHITE connector at the cab control. All of a sudden I got green for a split second and found power on that white connector till I turned up the spinner. It would pop each time and go to red.

Should have checked them dam bearings 1st LOL. Glad I didnt burn out the motor for being a dumb ass!

So its spinnning fine now but pretty loudly since the lower bearing needs replaced! Didnt have a grease gun to hit the Zerks tonight but hopefull in the morning I can get them filled. WD is all I had to free it up and heat.

I have not used a Hopper befor but always V box spreaders so is the 1000 a qwiet spinner or what? Figured I would ask you guys since it seems you guys have experience with them.

Q: any tips with these little hoppers besides not leaving the salt in there for long periors of time. I dont have a screen at the top nor a Vibrator either.

What to thank you guys again for chimming in with help :D

5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

actually my spreader is a hiniker but doesnt matter they all have the same basic components so they should all be very similar.

my spreader when the truck is on i have to stick my head out of the window to hear.

hopefully your lots are small enough you can walk them if you have to.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Keep the hopper empty while traveling between sites. If you fill it and drive it will compact the sand/salt mix and be a real PITA to get out. They run extremely quiet. You will needs to adjust the spinner for whatever size lot you are doing. I stuff a plastic sack up into the bottom of the hopper to keep the mix from falling out when not spreading.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I had a model 1000 fisher (same unit just yellow) they are noisy when the bearing is going but very quiet when working well, you would need to keep your window down to know when its on. The variable speed controller has a tendency to burn up if you have the older style but i can help you with that if it does, just pm me. always clean the salt off the lower assembly after every use, never keep salt in the hopper and do your best not to drive around with salt in it and always use DRY salt or you will be kicking yourself.

8. Banger

Banger Member

All great info you guys provided and I will forsure be taking everyones tips and advice.

BTW...
    Tiied to get the bad lower bearing off but it is snug up on the shaft real good. Any advice on how to free it? I didnt want to damage any other parts so I figured I would ask. Even the set screw was a PITA but did get her out with some heat and patients.

FYI. I bought this unit used and was told it had been used very little for one season. It looks as if its new as there is not a mark on it but that bottom bearing was never maintained. Motor, belt, pulley, and top bearing all look mint.

I was curious, in the event, I do get jambed or there is a issue with the spreader.... I was wondering, if it would be a good idea to make some sort of trap door on the tub? That way, I could drop the salt out vs hand digging it all out ect... God knows, I sure in the hell dont want to dig out 400lbs by hand, lol. I hope I never get the auger jamb but just looking ahead incase it does happen for advice ect...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008