1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please don't plow my roads!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gordyo, Jan 1, 2003.

1. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Our Athletic Complex is located right off of the main highway off ramp. The trucks that plow the off ramps for the State have been using the access loop at the front of the building as a turn around which they have done ever since the building was built, but now they are dropping their plows as they drive through. The problem is that when my crew's plow this loop they discharge the snow to the left away from the building and sidewalk which is on the right side of the road. The state trucks drive through and discharge the snow to the right and dump all the snow onto the sidewalk all along the front of the building. I then have to send a loader to take care of all this snow cause it melts and refreezes until it's moved. (Everything pitches away from the building to a drain in the road). I know I have every right to tell them to keep off our property but I really don't mind if they just drive through to turn around, I just don't want them to drop their plows making more work for my crew. My question is, How would you guys approach this situation? Do I flag down one of these guys, find out who the Foreman is and have a chat with him or do I get intouch with the State Supervisor and let him handle it??

2. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

call the state DOT or find out what branch of the DOT is plowing that area and call the branch

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Godyo I had this problem when plowing a large lot next to a main road around these parts. They did the same thing , turnaround with the blades down and pushed through what I had just plowed :nono: . The next time through I asked the front plower to not do that. He said "sorry" and that was the end of it. I also had the pleasure of meeting up with some of the states subs in a BK parking lot. I had apparently disturbed their sleep ;) so when they left one of them decided to push into what I had just plowed :realmad: . I would just wait for them (if possible) and ask the lead plow truck to lift the blade when coming through, they tend to follow the first drivers lead.

4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I'd say flag them down and have the chat directly with the drivers. Only if the problem persists would I go to the next higher level. They might think they're repaying you a favor since they're using your pavement to turn around on. Make them aware that they're hurting you instead and they'll probably understand. (They might even angle their blades the other way and actually help.) Maybe you could ask how you can contact the foreman "so that all the other drivers get the word too".

Those kind of problems are the kind I'd just as soon work on from the bottom of the ladder up. Ask them directly and they *might* think you're a jerk, but if the word comes down from on high without you ever having pointed the problem out to them, they *will* think you're a jerk.

5. citybobcat

citybobcat Junior Member
    from NYC

I think you should wait to see the driver's. If you go over their head's that mibht not go so well. Beside's if you talk to them they might turn around in the opposite direction and plow you out. Thus saving you time and money.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I agree with JD try to talk with the guys on that route.If you talk to there superviser that will leave bad feeling with them .I'm sure if you ask they will respect your athourity.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Call the DOT, the drivers at least in Maine that plow for Towns and the State DOT. Are not suposed to turn around on private property when there are other alternatives. Even if it means driving a little further. This is for liablity reasons.

Geoff

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have the same problem,the State DOT trucks turn around in ab ig lot i plow,its not a big deal,but when we have a blizzard or overnight storm,and theres 6" of snow,they build up a huge berm that tough to get thru with the pickups blade.They do drop a LOT of salt in the lot though.They leave so much salt that i can salt the entire lot just by plwoign the salt to where i want it .

9. Sparky925

Sparky925 Member
    from Mass

Gordyo,

Call this phone # 978-526-1307 ask for Jim he is in charge. It is the Manchester yard for Mass Highway.
    Most times there are a plow chaser (in charge) of this group of plows. If this goes on deaf ears let me know I have another # for you to call.
    Sparky

10. Temco

Temco Member

Ask them to come in the opposite way and you'll end up getting part of your lot plowed by the State :) If not, i'd push it back onto the street which will surely guaruntee you a visit from someone in authority and you can then discuss your predicament with them.

11. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Just curious, Jeff, what did you end up doing and how did this turn out?

(The current threads about weapons and arguments with a site's former plowguy got me wondering if this one was resolved amicably.)

12. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

The only event we have had since this was a problem was heavy rain and then snow that gave us 2" of slush and it was a salt event for them so I have not been able to talk with the guys yet.

13. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

I have our state DOT help out also. I manage a commercial office park and the main roadway connecting all the buildings leads to two state plowed roads. The money to plow the offices' road is provided by the office parks common grounds account. However, I guess that the state is suppposed to also plow it because during our last storm when I was already down to blacktop, and the two state roads were still icy, I saw the state go by and turn into one of the private building driveways which I was finishing plowing. He salted most of that job for me. So, I guess it was a thank you for helping him out. Before I even enter our lots, I get down to the pavement on the road, because during our first storm (7 1/2"), a car went off the road, down an embankment, although that was a fluke thing as one driver sped past and passed a second driver at a point where there is one lane with a median strip.

Just my dealings with DELDOT.