1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please dont kill me, Plow, on 2wd?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PremierLand, Nov 3, 2004.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey guys, Im sure you guys probably think im crazy, well maybe, but im thinking... if i got a set of winter tires on my dakota, and put alot of ballast in it.... would it be safe to put about a 6ft plow on it?

reason being.... I didnt get the commercial jobs i was sopossed to be guarnteed :mad: so most of my jobs will be residental, therefore.... Its ALOT easier to back into driveways around here with the dakota, the ford is simply too big for the drives around here, so would it be okay to throw a plow on the dakota... i know its not 4wd, but again, if i have enough ballast and good set of snow tires and a tranny cooler, (i just changed the trans fluid, no metal shavings or anything, so the trans is in good shape @ 80k miles.) could i get away with it for this year?

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No way. :nono: If you had a 1 ton dually or bigger, I could maybe see that. But not your dakotah. Put a plow on your Ford or buy another plow truck (with 4x4). :waving:

3. PremierLand

from detroit

yes yes, i know... i would like to sell the ford and dakota and get a 4x4 dakota. but its gonna be really hard selling the ford. or even i would like to keep the dakota, and sell the ford and use the ford money and plus some other money to get a 4x4 dakota...

but i dont think i'd be able to sell the ford for what i put into it :cry:

4. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

NO put the plow on the Ford. Why one word FUTURE. What if in the future you do get a commercial account then what or what if a big storm hits one of those freaky blizzards that make it hard for even 4x4 trucks to get around in. I say put the plow on the ford. It will save you money in the long run and the time you save from better maneuverability will be lost do to only having 2wd.

5. The Boss

You must like your dakotah but if you want to plow snow, you're going to have to compromise. Put a plow on the ford, or sell one or both of them and get a full size truck with a plow.
    Hope to see ya at the get together! :waving:

6. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I had a 79 Bronco that the front ujoint broke and the whole front end was rusted solid. (It was my yard only off road plow truck) Actually the entire truck was one big rust bucket.......thats why I took it off the road, wouldnt pass inspection.
    I loaded the back of it with 800lbs of sand and continued to plow all winter.
    In fact it still plowed fine. Until I killed the engine... Long story

7. PremierLand

from detroit

i love my dakota, but maybe sense i love it so much, i should be nice to it and not put a plow on it! lol....

i dont think ill be attending the meeting :( but maybe if ya guys decide to buy those ill come on down. but i do have to cut lawns this week for the last cut.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

How small are these driveways? Unless they have a house on either side, I havn't seen many driveways worth plowing that you can't back into with a full size. If the full size doesn't fit, why not shovel/snowblow it? Perhaps you just need to get used to backup the full size. It takes practice, but I can snake my dads full size ram with a 25' snowmobile trailer down our twisty driveway backwards in the dark. One you get the hang of where the vehicle is even when you can't see it, it's quite easy.

9. PremierLand

from detroit

driveways are about 8x75

10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If all you are doing is res drives you can get away with plowing with a 2wd if the snow doesnt get too deep. Put a limited slip diff in it and some weight in back with a 7 ft plow, no bigger. And if things get deep you can chain it up.

11. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Joking Right ?

:nono: A 2x4 was NOT made to plow snow, And if you do plow a few drives the money you just made along with some more will go for repairs !!!

12. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Might want to get a lawn tractor with a plow or an atv. We use atvs to do residentials. Had too many damages using the trucks. The only trucks we had good luck with were Jeeps with a 6.5 plow and a back blade.

13. j&j properties

j&j properties Junior Member

question on plowing in 4x4 verse not

I'm new to plowing this year with a 4x4 pickup. Used to plow with a 2wd 2 ton dump. Anyway i was wondering does the 4x4 help when plowing w/ a light truck and how much? As i haven't been able to play with this yet as there hasn't been any snow here yet. Any suggestions or thought would be great.

I love this site; wish I had found it years ago!

14. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Like the difference between night and day. I can't climb my driveway with my '90 Dodge 150 in 2wd (4WD went out) with a plow on - up or down. With the 4wd, it didn't even hesitate. With 4wd, I've been able to climb out of ditches I misjudged - in 2wd don't even think about it. I can push 14" of snow up hill on a private road in 4wd, couldn't even climb a plowed drive in 2wd (see above).

15. PremierLand

from detroit

Im really starting to think about putting a Snowsport on the dakota and selling the ford. I know it'd be hard, but im sure its duable. the drives are only 8x75 so i think the 2wd would be okay for most circumstances, but im also sure I'd have to shovel some areas if it snowed so much I couldnt get up the drive. But IDK, I can justify putting the plow on the dakota more than the ford. That way, I sell the ford, plow with the dakota and have one more year of landscaping in the dakota, then sell the dakota next year and get a 4x4. Im not sure. but for now im thinking about the snowsport and selling the ford.

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Buy a blower or use some shovels. Get some bags of salt. Maybe get a buddy to help, you blow the drive and he gets the steps and walk ect. Do it by hand this year. Next year and longer term......Get a deccent 3/4 ton with a blade next year. Keep 1 truck as a "salting rig" and have your pal run around seperate from you salting. Or have him take his own vehical salting and make him a "sub contractor" Pay him per drive or the like. If your truck blows up next year you should still be able to 1/2 way cover yourself by hand. Sounds like you have an in and a good relationship with your resi. If later you want to switch to comercial then go that wroute. I prefer comercial since its less headach but to be truley efficeint in commercial you need a bigger truck and a bigger blade and possibly/probably a way to spread material(JMO but best to use a seperate truck) Spreading slat or the like really seems to be area based though.

JMO but its a bit late now if you cant come up with a deccent plow truck NOW. BTW a f150 should be plenty manuverable. Cant get much smaller actually. Dont matter if your runnning 44" tires the turning radius is still the same.

Plow on the dakota is a BAD idea IMO

17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

At least if you buy a blower you can use it next year or even sell it. No body is going to want to buy a 2wd dakota plow truck and I doubt many will be wanting to buy the blade.

JMO but DO IT BY HAND!

18. PremierLand

from detroit

I have a few snowblowers, but i figured the plow would be better, quieter, and faster. but maybe not.

19. PremierLand

from detroit

Orrrr... what if i put the plow on the hitch in back, and pulled foward in drives and backed out with the plow down? and then shoveled the garage area. idk, just an idea.

20. The Boss

If get into a half way deep snow, I would think that you're just going to sit there and spin trying to pull the plow. Same yourself a headache and get 2 4x4.