1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Please document wind speed this season"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Camden, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

My largest account has always asked that I give them very detailed invoices. In the past I have had no trouble with that but now I think it's getting ridiculous.

They sent me a letter today asking me to provide the WIND SPEED at the time I'm servicing their accounts. How does a person measure that?? They must think I've got a weather vane sitting next to my light bar :dizzy:
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

uyou can get very detailed reports that pilots use , you jus tneed ot know how to read them , if you PM me... ill help you, they are very detailed and localized, might work...or else just use the weatherservice
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Id agree-its getting out of hand. Good luck on that one.
  4. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

I agree, that's ridiculous. What does wind speed have to do with your servicing their account? Have elite1msmith PM the account mgr so they can figure it out themselves and you can concentrate on plowing!
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the price will be getting raised.
  6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

$100 wind speed measuring sur-charge every time you need to report it to them. Id tell them to go fly a kite and find their own damn windspeed! lol
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OR for grins and giggles, just tell them it's always blowing while you're driving. :angel:
  8. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Whichever direction the snow is blowing, drive as fast as the blowing snow and you should be good to go. Make sure your plow is up though. LOL. That is just a rediculous request...thanks for the laugh.

I like the surcharge idea!! That is awesome!!
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

10. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

This could work to your advantage if your a good business man. Write in your "new" contract that you will monitor wind speed and over a selected MPH you will automatically re-salt the lot to prevent re-freezing from blow back.payuppayup
  11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Most pilots use. www.intellicast.com
    very good site and the radar has a loop to show you what is coming.
  12. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

you should divide wind speed up into 3 distinct categories based on intensity, going from low to high: (stolen from comedian Lewis Black)
    1. Jesus Christ
    2. Godd*mnit
    3. Holy F**k!

see how your client likes that...
  13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

By my professional estimate I'd say 33.7 mph.

14. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

why do they want it? Trying to decide if the wind is blowing the snow back or if you are really plowing it? You bill them out a hundred bucks per wind drift or what?
    Bill em some more then!!!:nod::drinkup:
  15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

he needs an actual windspeed, not a guess

pilots use a TAF report or a METAR report as well as a few others

heres ohare airports

KORD 102251Z 08007KT 10SM FEW250 19/07 A3016
    RMK AO2 SLP214 T01890067

thats the current wind , wind from 080 ( eastward) at 7 knots,
  16. snowbankr

snowbankr Member

A company called Ben Meadows sends me catalogs all the time. They specialize in outdoor businesses such as Forestry, Surveying, Engineering. They sell hand held wind speed machines. Just threw out the last catalog they sent me in March. Should see the "winter" one soon....
  17. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I guess if I had to do that I would go into my cell phone to accu weather and see what the current weather says.
  18. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the link SnoFarmer. I hadn't gotten around to checking them out yet but I'm surprised they're so cheap.

My original plan was to list whatever wind speed I hear on the radio while I'm out plowing but now I'll probably get one of those hand held things.

I still think the whole thing is ludicrous but I'd still rather jump through their hoops than lose the account.
  19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Never thought of you as a hoop jumper. LOL:drinkup:
  20. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah that is pretty bad.. Can you just print out online data reports that say 12mph from sw or something off weather.com for the day? or they want one for each site?

Theyre out there, maybe make them pay for it, or just bury the price of two of these in their new proposal bid lol