1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please bring avise u pro's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by maintenance1, Nov 24, 2008.

1. maintenance1

maintenance1 Junior Member

ALL advise taken:
    Current sutiuation- Maintain 5 med.,2 large, 8-10 small properties (shopping ctrs,restuarants,etc.)alson many residential. From the roof tho the grounds, we do it all. Fortunate to have excellent relations w/ owners.
    The ?-Do I stop subbing out and go all in.---Lot variables, I know-terms of contracts, cost of equip, etc. But. Have man power, pretty good equip. and like doing all ourselves--writing out $ every year gets old.
    Current equip. 3 Fords: 2- tons, 1- 3/4 ton. 2 cat loaders, 1 bobcat. trailers and the such.
    Note: cost of equip (plows, spreaders, etc.) wear on trucks, keeping in mind I'm in southern KY. !!!. Not a lot of plowing here. but there is a need. Another BIG ? how are you guys getting loaders safely to site on trailers when you need to plow?-Hual day defore? lot of work if no snow?
    Really would appreciate any and all advise. Thanks so much:)

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Up here, most companies will leave loaders/skid steers on site all winter.

3. maintenance1

bring advise u pro's

That makes sense. But, hope you see where i'm coming from here. southern ky a loader may sit all winter and get used 5- 8 times max. Thanks

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

well i always believed that whatever you can keep in house only keeps more money in your pocket. as far as moving equipment, you'd be nuts to try and move it all the night or day before a storm. i always keep my equipment onsite and just drive pick-ups and dumps to the site.

5. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ya i understand you dont utilize it all that much but what happens if a freak storm hits and you're stuck trying to mobilize equipment at 1 am to your sites?

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I know people should use the search feature but who are they really hurting if they don't? You don't have to respond or click on there thread. No sense in getting all worked up about nothing. JMO

7. maintenance1

My appologies I don't quite follow that, but thanks redman i believe u see where i'm coming from.

8. maintenance1

bring advise u pro's

So looking at roughly 10k in fitting up 8 yr old trucks to plow, duallies at that. and for ? plowing in southern KY? Guess I'm talking myself out, huh.

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Disregard my last post it was for another thread.:confused:

10. maintenance1

No problem, but got any advise? Please.-----------

11. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Look for used plow equipment to keep cost down somewhat, maybe. Are you doing salt/sand app. as well? Remember if snow equipment isn't used much (how much does it snow in KY?) & taken care of it might well outlast the trucks. Buy a new truck, find the truckside equipment for new truck, maybe use older plow off previous truck? Good investment in that case.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Wow JD....you got confused????:drinkup:

13. maintenance1

bring on advise u pro's

Thanks adksnow. Yes salting and some hand shovelling etc. Two of the 350's, duallies. Read one thread on suggestions and sure i'm opening door to many opinions but, what plow go with and salter suggestions. I'm not green to all plowing and salting but value opinions from you guys. I watch lot of 'auction' sites and the such but all usually cost + shipping ends up better to find new local? (i'm south KY) Any KY plowers out there? All help and advise valued. Thanks:)

14. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Look at craigslist. You would be surprised on how inexpensively you can find a complete plow package. Of course it is alot better to be looking for these in May then it is to try looking for one now. The price is much higher now due to the demand.

15. maintenance1

bring advise u pro's

Yeah Rc, I'm a day late and ya know---, but will give craigs a try.? 350's duallies ext cab plow size suggestions? Thanks

16. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have a dually but no less than a 8.5 size. You need to cover your wheel base on the rear end. jmo

17. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I would use any equipment that you already own or can utilize for other money making ventures any pieces that cant be utilized for anything but snow I would sub out or hire in help I certainly couldnt see owning a wheel loader that might get used 7 times a winter but what do I know

18. maintenance1

bring advise u pro's

And on that, looked at box plows for my cat 277's , but my same ? hauling to site or leaving doesn't seem to feasible in south KY. Or for that matter 10k on equip. for trucks, maybe more, cost of new trucks with the rebates and incentives out there ? better off? OH hell, i'm just confused, too many ?

19. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

There is nothing any worse than trying to move a bobcat while it is snowing. You better turn your trailer brakes off, so you don't jacknife, weather you use binders or straps they become a pita. Be careful loading and un loading skid steers do what they want to do when it is slick. I started out this way with bobcat before i had a truck plow. I was lucky it was a mild winter.
    Mike

20. maintenance1

bring advise u pro's

I've hauled in winter, sucks. All froze up and the like. So what sense does it make in an area like south KY where do get snow, but nothing like you pro's get up north? with a skid loader for that matter.