1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Please Be careful!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chevy05, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Chevy05

Chevy05 Member

Today on my way home from the Fire Station, I was almost Rear ended in the side of my truck, Beacuse a plower (female)_Not Sexist!! Backed in the road at 10mph (doing residentals) and did not look anywhere around her. Close Call!! I drove off a pulled over and watched her, do the same thing several times over, Not watching just backing in to the road as if she was the only vehicle on the road (mind you it was 12:30 in the afternoon.

Please dont take this as bashing on Female plow drivers!!
    Everbody needs to watchout for one another out there
    ****STAY SAFE****

Ryan M.

Any questions PM me or Email me @ BCSFD279@yahoo.com
    or NEXTEL: 178*94*47107
  2. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I know what you mean. I see a lot of people like that.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Maybe you should've went back and told her about what's she doing, and how close she just came to smacking into the side of you. It's only a matter of time until she eventually backs out and she hits somebody or somebody slams into the side of her. And lord knows, it's not only female plowers that do this, I've seen it before too with male drivers!
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Sometimes a first year plower is so involved in what they are doing and trying to be so carefull that they forget where they are.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have to be very careful it is so easy to kill or iinjure someone with a vehicle. This is the main reasons plow trucks should have good amber beacons / flashing lights. They may notice you and take action to avoid you or an accident. Daytime's the worst,little kids,elderly,teenagers on a cell phone,soccer Mom in the minivan,drunk's and people looking for a payday! I never rely on the mirrors I always turn my head and survey the full scene before I back up or go forward. Always look at intersections both ways, they can put "But I had the green light" on your tomb stone!
  6. Hmebuildr

Hmebuildr Senior Member

I know the feeling. I had a guy I know has plowed for many years do the same thing to me. You could see him coming didnt look just backed right out. Kinda like I have a plow so I have the right of way attitude. The thing was he was plowing his own house so it is not like he was in a hurry.
  7. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Well I got labeled last night! :realmad: Guy driving too fast with bald tires on icy hard pack slid right through a red light. :mad: I saw him coming when I was already in the intersection and hit the accelerator in an attempt to clear the intersection but wasn't fast enough, as he nailed the back portion of the bed between the rear wheel and the bumper. Of course he was out doing what everybody does in a snow storm when they have bald tires, getting a pizza! I called it in to my insurance last night to report it and they called me back this morning to tell me this bum also has a lapse in his insurance coverage! :angry: :yow!:

I'm goin to the store for more ammo!
  8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Ken that really blows chunks, I'm sorry to hear it.

What's weird is when I read the first few posts in the thread I already had my response in my head; Yes, be careful, but more importantly make sure you're well insured to protect yourselves from the jerks who are not. Then I read yours.....OUCH.....

Well, anyway, I wish the point could've been made just by my comments and not at the expense of your truck. Hope the rest of the season goes better for you!
  9. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

A similar thing happened to me last year.
    I was doing a few residential accounts in a neighbor hood. i had plowed all the drives and was clearing the portion of the street. when I got hit on the driver side just behind the rear tire well. this "fellow plower" wasn't paying attention. I say him in the drive way and he wasn't moving so i proceeded and then CRUNCH. I even had my lights on. and I have hideaways and a full size "wrecker bar".

Just gotta look around you and be aware of what people are doing i guess.
  10. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

how do you get rear ended at the side of your truck:dizzy: .
    more like t boned
  11. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Johntwist - you are right, you have to protect your self from the less responsible, by way of paying attention to the other drivers on the road and by insurance. Looks like my insurance company (Progressive) is going to step up tp the plate on this one. So that $200.00 deductible is what I'm out.:cry:

Murthyslaw - I saw a collision like the one you describe last season, the crazy thing was that the two trucks were owned by the same company doing drives in a condo complex.

What really has me angry is that I take real good care of my trucks. This 95 Nissan runs, drives and looks new. I plow a lot of real tight parking areas and driveways so I pull the tailgate every winter for rearward visibility during plowing. If the tailgate was on I think it may have helped stabilize the bed wall and the damage may have been less severe.

I've been considering turning this truck into a flat bed, to facilitate work in my summer business. I guess this is my motivation to do it this spring. If anyone has ever done this please drop me a line with any advice as far as construction and materials.

Onward and upward -
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There may be flat beds available for it from truck outfitters. I have seen a few Rangers running around that have nice scaled down beds on them. One guy even got some Superduty badging and stuck it on the fenders.
  13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, if he couldn't afford tires, did you really expect him to afford insurance?

I know a girl here that recently got herself into a lot of trouble... had her bike stolen, raised her car insurance rates etc. so to save money she dropped her insurance. Kept the cell phone, dropped the insurance. :rolleyes: Then got into a major accident running a red light while on that same cell phone...

I got tagged two years ago in the left hand cab-corner and door by a woman who backed out of a parking spot without looking while I was driving by... I posted about it at the time, its probably still on here somewhere if anyone cares. You can be as careful as you want but they will still get you...
  14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

There is something called "spatial orientation". some people have it, women do not. Maybe I'll get slammed for being a chauvanist, but here's my story. I worked for four years in a place that required me to drive big trucks down through a very congested historic/business district several times a day. Parallel parking both sides. I was always watchful of people parking then opening their car doors in front of me. Believe it or not, it happened every single day. When I started noticing it always seemed to be women, I started keeping track. 98% of the time it was a woman who would fling their door open into traffic without thinking. Somebody told me that it is because they have less of a sense of spatial orientation than men. Sort of means being aware of what is going on around you. I think this would translate into backing up while plowing without looking either. I bet this is why men are usually better drivers, too. Before you bite my head off on this one, let me just say that I believe that men have their own long list of faults, and there are many things women can do better than men. I just like to point out the ones that make men look smarter than women.
  15. derekbroerse

Yeah, but they still get the cheaper insurance....

I think what ticked me off most about what happened to me was that she immediately got out and said 'look what YOU did to my car' like it was my fault!!! I dunno, last time I looked my truck can't drive sideways... :rolleyes:
  16. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I know this is something I am guilty of. When I'm in my parents' driveway I tend not to look. Pulling out into the road I do, but when I'm in the driveway I just maneuver.
  17. derekbroerse

I know a guy who has demolished not one, not two, but three of his own cars pulling out of driveways without looking first... A Cavalier Z24, a Chrysler minivan, and a Ford Ranger. The van was a write-off, the Cavalier needed a whole front clip (taken off a year later again by his sister, a write off then) and the Ranger needed a box.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2006