1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

please be careful out there...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crazymike, Dec 10, 2005.

1. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Yesterday was our second plowable event in Toronto. I left Thursday at 3am, plowed all night and came home for some rest at 1pm. Then went back out at 10pm and did clean up until 4am. A mild storm but kept us busy.

Unfortunately the day didn't go well for everyone. Although I havn't read the paper, a lady was struck and killed by a front end loader clearing snow at a shopping mall around 8am Friday morning. Although I don't know the driver or who he was working for, I feel sorry for him.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...LAC/20051210/PLOWM10/TPNational/?query=loader

In storms like this it's almost impossible to see people while backing up. This chalks one up for having a vehicle that flashes like a christmas tree.

I can't imagine having to deal with something like that as it was most definitaly a freak accident. Further sources say the woman was wearing a white coat and hood and headphones and may have already been lying in the snow before she was struck.

The article seems to try and pin the blame on operating training, etc... However, common sense on the woman who was hit should say NOT to cut through parking lots esecially in the precense of heavy equipment. I feel bad for her family, however I don't blade the operator.

This is what I hate most about commercial/industrial. People seem to think they can drive, walk, etc... in front/behind your truck as if they are somehow more important than you. Or somehow manage to not notice you. It's extremely frustrating.

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Saw it on the news (walking by)... Looked like a wide open parking lot. Woman was 50. Looked a lot like the operator was probably going forward, lifting to stack the pile, then reverseing. Somewhere she must have tried to cross behind him... maybe even slipped and fell on the hardpack?

Sad story.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Saw it on the news (walking by)... Looked like a wide open parking lot. Woman was 50. Looked a lot like the operator was probably going forward, lifting to stack the pile, then reverseing. Somewhere she must have tried to cross behind him... maybe even slipped and fell on the hardpack?

Sad story.