1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Play in light tower

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RCsLawncare, Feb 27, 2011.

1. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

So I put my plow on last week to move it and all now instead of the lift/light tower staying upright when the plow goes up, the light tower goes towards the plow a couple of inches. Its hooked in right and the Boss dealer cant figure out what it would be. He said not to be worried, but the problem is it bottoms out everywhere since the plow doesn't lift that extra height with the tower leaning out and I just put a set of Timbrens in it. Its worse now then without the Timbrens before. Didn't know if anyone ever had the same problem or not. Boss says there can be some play, but mine seems excessive for never doing it before... It plows and stays on fine, just kind of annoyed with this. Thanks guys for any thoughts or suggestions!
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe stupid,but did you make sure the plow pins are going through the hook and is connected right?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

also take the plow off and double check all your bolts that bolt the mount to the truck. Make sure they are all tight.
  4. RCsLawncare

Hey guys, I double checked the pins were in, which the were, and when at the dealer, they went through the under carriage to make sure nothing loosened up. I'm just stumped since I plowed with it and it did fine. It's just the annoying factor that it wasn't what it was last storm and looks wierd.. I'll snap pictures this week and let you guys get a better look. It feels like where the hook is for the plow to come into is somehow worn out and has play in it if that makes sence. Hopefully some one has seen this! Thanks for the replys!!
  5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

take the blade off and try putting it in again
    maybe something will line up better?
  6. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Is there something wrong with the truck side mount? I know i had a similar problem with my old mount and it started to wear on the hooks and leaned forward a bit. Is there enough fluid in the plow?
  7. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I hooked mine up once with only one pin in, drove about 7mi and started plowing, finished a handful of driveways, and it seemed a little wobbly. Got out saw only hooked on one side. Fixed it and then ok the rest of the day. Glad to see I didn't wreck it.
  8. RCsLawncare

That is what Im thinking, almost like the truck side is worn or something and is causing the slack. I assure everyone the pins are in and correct. Pushed snow all day without problems. The plow is one the truck and not coming off. Its why the tower is being pulled down a little when you raise the plow. It used to stay upright, and now goes down an inch or two. Gonna have to do some investigation on how new mounts look and see if mine is out of whack a little. Seems odd that one week its fine and then its got decent slack in it... Im stumped guys...
  9. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i know my boss mount the top holes on the mount are egging alittle and the bottom hooks are mushroming, im not saying i dont beat on my stuff but i do use it and then some lol. my under carrige is from 07 and im having the same issues, dismount your plow and inspect your hooks on your push beam!
  10. RCsLawncare

I will tomorrow, and that is exactly what I was trying to say about where the play is coming from!! Ill let you know tomorrow with what I find.
  11. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Or if you happen to know anyone with a boss mount, hook it to their truck and see if it does the same thing.
  12. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I had a similar problem a couple years ago, like stated earlier it was the 8 bolts for the push beam. They bent. Every time I would raise or lower my plow the push beam would pivot up or down. I replaced them with grade 8 bolts and haven't had a problem since.
  13. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage Junior Member

plow height

Had a similar issue with our boss V, it seemed like the plow was sagging down more then it use to, and was contacting the ground on bumpy roads. Took the plow off and sure enough we had actually lost one bolt but the others did seem loose like the holes were stretched.

We moved the whole plow up a full set of holes with all new bolts and everything is nice and tight now, and a lot more ground clearance.

Have fun
  14. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

My installer put some of the grade 8's from the mount on the pushbeam where the grade 5's are supposed to be, thought it was lame but now maybe it wasn't so bad.
  15. RCsLawncare

Ill check it out guys! Thanks for the responses! I think the undercarriage might be a little tweaked from a curb, so I need to check it out
  16. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

let us know what you find out, chances are you mount might be slightly brocken in like mine. or a couple loose or bent bolts!
  17. RCsLawncare

The bolts are tight and good to go. The frame mounting holes are a little off, as in slightly oval, but still round and cant see them causing the frame to move like it is. Once its decent out, I will put the plow on and take pictures of the way it sits and let you guys see what you think.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  18. mricefish

mricefish Member

I also had the same prob. and this fixed mine as well. Another thing when puting new bolts in, use new ones where the threads do not go all the way to the head. This will give you a little sungger fit. May have to move up a size in bolt too if the holes are oblonged from movement.
  19. RCsLawncare

Think I may have found it. It looks to be on the plow side and the pins that are welded into the a frame seen to be almost a D shape. Looks like the back of the pin is squaring off and might be causing the issue. Anyone ever replaced theres? Looks like alot of cutting and welding..
  20. mricefish

mricefish Member

think i know what pins you are talking about. Just a thought before you cut them out and replace, think you could build them back up with a welder? we have built the ends of our post hole auges for our bobcat when they got wore. they were a little easer out in the open. just a thought here.