1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Play in driveshaft

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cpsnowremoval, Nov 12, 2009.

1. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

the part where my drive shaft slides into the transfercase has play in it. I can move it and i dont think i should b able to do that. So far i replaced both u joints and the seal. I can really feel it everytime i shift out of 3rd. :realmad:
    I was wondering if u guys would have any idea what it might b heres a pic

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

2. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

its called a spindle

3. cpsnowremoval

i think its like a bearing or somthing. I get under the truck and push on the driveshaft and it moves alittle eachway. I know it must move alot more when i drive it going through the gears. Its a 4speed manual

4. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

movement up and down? or in and out?

5. cpsnowremoval

up and down and side to side

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's a bronze bushing in the tail of the T-case, and it's worn out. Which is what causes excessive movement and vibrations. Takes a correctly sized bushing driver to replace it. Most any trans shop should be equipped to handle it.

7. cpsnowremoval

thanks a lot
    so would i beable to see the bushing when i take the seal and driveshaft off?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you'll see the outer end of it if you pull the seal.

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Looks like you need a seal anyway you got gear lube all over the bottom of your truck.

10. cpsnowremoval

yeah some of that was from the old seal that was bad and i never took the time to clean it. When i got the truck one of the motor mounts was missing the bolts that go into the block fixed that but when i and the guy before me drove it that must of wrecked that bronze bushing i learned about. also the t case add plug is striped so i need to figure out how to undo that plug.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Weld a nut on it a little smaller than the plug. Have to be a decent welder to do it without damaging the aluminum but it works every time. I do it quite often.

12. cpsnowremoval

yeah thats a great idea thanks
    my welder is a clark 135 flux core wire welder
    i wish i would have bought a stick welder instead cuz i seem to need more stronger welds than my clark puts out. i might get a gas convertion kit for christmas