1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Play" in Boss blades

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rtm038, Aug 16, 2006.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Hello,
    I'm looking at buying an 8.2 Power-V, but I have a question and I will try to describe as best I can. Is there any "play" in the pins that connect the A-frame to the headgear? I ask because I used a Blizzard 810 last year, which has no "play" where the pins connect the A-frame to the vehicle mount, and the blade scraped-up my driveway pretty bad. I never had this problem with my Fishers, which use "stepped" pins (Western uses a "pivot bar"), which adds a little "slop" to the connection between the A-frame and headgear, improving the blades ability to follow the varying contours often found on blacktop surfaces.

Ryan

2. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

Hello Ryan, I am not really sure what it is you are talking about but I think I know what you are getting at. I have owned my boss 8'2'' ploy vee for over a year now and have had no problems with it leaving any snow behind and no bouncing around while on the road going from job to job. If I am reading this right you are talking about the two pins one on each side of the plow where the light tower meets the plows a-frame. Basically where the two pins that allow the plow to move up and down, while the light tower is attached to the truck. I hope this answered your question or atleasted help.

Ryan

3. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Yeah, I think you're getting what I saying. Yes, I am talking about the pins that mate the a-frame to the tower/headgear assembly. I am hoping there is some slack in their fitment because this will allow the blade to pivot (like the western ultramount does) a little.

Here are some photos of the scrapes left on my driveway, courtesy of my old Blizzard 810.

P8160181.JPG

P8160182.JPG

P8160183.JPG

P8160184.JPG

P8160185.JPG

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Do you put the blade in the float position, or use the shoes? Just seal your driveway, have a beer and the problems fixed. :drinkup:

5. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes, I had the blade in "float" mode, but at first I wasn't using the shoes (I always remove them from my plows). Then I decided to install the shoes, thinking this would solve the problem- Nope. While the blade no longer made wide marks, the shoes left thin lines/marks in the pavement.

Prior to buying the Blizzard, I plowed the driveway with a Fisher X-blade, which never left marks on the surface. I'm hoping a Boss will be like the Fisher in this regard.

Ryan

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Most blades will leave marks asphalt...those marks really are not that bad. My guess is that all of your blades have make marks, it is just that the blizzards were more noticeable because of the weight of the blade. My 8' western pro-plow will leave marks in asphalt. Over all the are just abrasions to the surface, and do not really harm the driveway... if you were gouging it, then I would be concerned. Also if the fishers were giving you the results you wanted, then why switch??

7. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I liked the 8' X-Blade, but I was doing a lot of large commercial parking lots and needed a larger blade. So, I thought the Blizzard would be the ticket, but it wasn't. Anyway, I've always liked the look, lights, fast hydros and controls found on the Boss plows, so that is why I'm looking at them for this season, but it has to be a V-plow. The problem is, the more I look at the MVP Plus and the Power-V, the harder the decision becomes. I thought I read somewhere of some improvements coming for the Power-Vs. Anyone have any ideas/info?

8. Rbronkema psfd

Rbronkema psfd Member

Yeah I have found that my boss v does that but it isn't any big deal. Like everyone else is saying all plows will do that and the heavier plows will leave more noticeable marks