1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plastic speed bumps

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rob Abner, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Rob Abner

Rob Abner Junior Member

First time I plowed this property today and wouldn't you know front has asphalt speed bumps back are plastic bolted down, they hurt like hell, plow rides right over backtop bumps but oh know not those plastis ones.

Now the question is these look to be polyurethane about 10" wide and taper from 1" to 2" for the bump. Is this the same material as a U edge? If so this 9' ******* speed bump is going to be my new edge on my 8.5 Meyer

2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I use to install these things at the college and then my guys would forget them and rip them off with the plows. Then we would take them up in the winter and put them down in the spring. After two years of this I finally convinced the Director of Physical Plant to put in paved ones.

3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Gordyo do you work for my Boss???

Either that or they are related.... I had the same thing happen to me....

Boss wanted plastic speed bumps... I said hell no, they are nothing but problems and the plows will tear them up.

He said put them in... so I did and the plow did what I said it was gonna do.... Ripped them up during the first run down the road way.

When are bosses ever gonna learn to listen?
    :D

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Polyuerathane is a FAMILY of plastics.

Are the speed bumps similar to the cutter edges? Yes.

Identical compound? Not likely.

PITA? For sure!

5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

JCurtis,

No I don't :D But I'm sure that you have tried to explain why a certain thing should not be done becuase you have experience in that area or you have thought through why it won't work, but they tell you to do it anyway. I just take back the broken pieces later and say " Well I guess that didn't work too well, how would you like me to attempt to fix it now? May I suggest that we illiminate these plastic speed bumps and have our paving contractor come in and make them out of asphalt. That way our plows will ride up over them and not rip them out of the ground"

6. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Have a customer that moved to a new location this year, the lot is 3x the size of before. Just got a pattern down for plowing the lot that allowed me to move the snow to a back corner of his lot out of his way. Then he installs four speed bumps. Have to change the way I plow the place and can't locate the snow anymore. Almost pulled one out of the ground first time through. At night it's not too bad, I can work around them. But daytime plows moving with the traffic means I dump snow when I have to pick up my blade to go over them. I hate those plastic speed bumps. Makes my V blade a waste in that lot during daytime plows.

7. Rob Abner

Rob Abner Junior Member

While I mounted the bump (no snow and plenty of time) my metal edge was in need of turning anyway so what the heck I gave it a shot.

It seems to scrape real good well as good as steel maybe better, lucky for me there is an amphitheater right across the street not alot going on in winter :D So I went out tonight and tried it out in case it didn't hold up I wouldn't be down not making money. If this doen't hold up I'll probably have to go with the Artic Groomer.

Now the question for you U edge guys is how thick is that edge and does it get a little line of fuzzy poly on the trailing edge?

8. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i love my steel edge.if your going to hit something might as well rip it out of the ground because it most likely didn't belong there in the first place......lol

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The edges are about 30.00 a running foot. They are 1.5" thick and no they dont have a fuzzy line on the leading or trailing edge. My guess is that bump is made from UHMW, it should wear pretty quick.
    Dino