1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plastic mulboard has pulled off my Boss 9'2"

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Pa Teeny, Oct 29, 2014.

1. I welded it so it would not pull off and Boss mailed me the new bolts but there is no way to rebolt them as the lower case is welded shut? Anyon eelse have their plastic pull away from the frame...

Thanks
    Snow is coming.....

2. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Do you have a pic of this?

3. I will take pictures as they said the bolts or nuts were too small...I will take pictures

4. here is the pictures...sorry it took so long was welded ....had

IMG_3049.jpg

I had to wait until i changed the cutting edge....I cut the steel plate as to keep a lip to hold the plastic maul board down ...I then re weld the plate so I can Acccess the holes and areas to work on it this summer...

IMG_3049.jpg

5. The bolts are self holding and expand to hold the nut without any wrenches on the backside of the bolt ie nut..

6. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Just drill the back out and replace with a normal locknut, save yourself the aggravation of being down for days while waiting on specialty parts. Poor designers make stuff difficult for end users, consistency in moldboard hardware would've been nice....

Boos Poly bottom row 001.jpg

Boos Poly bottom row 005.jpg

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

8. Mr.Markus

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

tmi......;)

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go with bigger washers too.

11. Mr.Markus

On mine it was the expansion nuts that failed, the existing washers and bolts stayed attached to the moldboard but yeah bigger washers would probably be a good idea.

12. Mr.Markus

FYI you will need 3/8" grd 8 bolts 5" long,washers and I prefer nylock nuts, and a 3/8 drill bit at min 8".
    The 2 bolts closest to the hinge only have enough room for 2 1/2" bolts. Just drill straight through install hardware, done less than 20 min. Best done in scoop so you don't have the quadrant in your way on the inside bolts.HTH

13. Mr.Markus

All set easy peesy...

Boss poly fix 001.jpg

Boss poly fix 002.jpg

14. So you drilled the hole the entire way through the empty void to use an 8" carriage bolt? That is what I was thinking as why piss with the same mistake that came from factory?

15. Mr.Markus

5" carriage bolt Grade 8.
    2.5 " for the one's on either side of the hinge.

16. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Hey thanks for posting this up. I read it the other day then it happened to me. Mine started from the outside though. Then snow packed in and pulled three more bolts off gradually over the course of the 2 days I plowed. I just got the bolts and am going to fix it today. The store only had grade 5 though. Thanks again