1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plastic is bad in the cold

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by frozenokiewi, Jan 12, 2009.

1. frozenokiewi

frozenokiewi Junior Member

the plastic snowflap and cable covers....

Scott what was SnowDogg thinking making that portion of the plow out of that that brittle plastic. I have a MD75 and you and your company have been great but i was just out moving about three inches of dust off the private road I live on. I have an entrance to clear off a 4 lane hwy with an angled curb not a step curb, the plow goes up and I have the banks pushed back about 3 feet into the ditch so no stacking yet. The plow hits and icebank and tips forward not flat it just tipped and hit a bank and there goes another snowflap. It all startes when the end hole cracks, the fist one did it while going 50 on county hwy m at zero degrees a chunk flew up and hit the windshield. I slammed on my brakes and saved it for you. I had just passed a semi going 60+ so there was quite a bit of wind. The night i bought the plow it was -4 and when i unplugged the plow both plug tethers snapped in two places. This plastic is not the answer and i will be back at Caspers tomorrow for my third snowflap. Do you have any suggestions? I am considering getting a 3/8 chunk of heavy rubber from Applied Techoligies and using that instead of the plastic flap. The other thing I have noticed is if the flap comes loose the whole stainless blade is loose. Kind of frustrating, these are going to take abuse and hit ice they should not be this brittle in the cold. :confused:

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Well, this is year two for the plastic deflectors. Last year we had a few issues - but not enough to abandon the idea. We really wanted to find a compound that would work - but I believe you'll see rubber next year. It's possible that the compound this year is a little off, but I think that the plastic has to go.

It is warrantied - but I've been telling dealers to use rubber if they've got it for warranty replacements (until we have our own).

We actually used two slightly different compounds on the MD's and EX's and both are having issues in the icier and colder parts of the country this year.

The cold has not been particularly bad (compared to last year), but we've had a lot more deflector issues this year. A stupid thing to spend our and our customers time worrying about - thus the change to rubber.

Those caps should have been Santoprene (same as the plugs) - and I'm looking into that right now actually.

Regards,
    Scott

3. frozenokiewi

frozenokiewi Junior Member

See that folks..

This is why I am buying a snowdogg for our Excursion.

Scott I agree rubber is the answer but the way the flap is shaped is perfect for the plow. Other models I have looked at...the top of the plow is flat where the MD-75 is on an angle. I think if you slap a chunk of rubber on there it may tipped down too far but not sure, have not tinkered with it yet.

My thoughts were take a hunk of aluminum I have here about 1/4 inch and bend it on the break at the shop and mount the rubber flap to that. Do you think mounting a chunk of aluminum between the steel strap that holds the plastic flap and the stainless blade will hurt anything? I know it will be durable and fix my problem right now, tonight they predicted 1-2 inches well we're at 5 now and another 5 inches coming Friday. We've broken avery monthly snow record for a one month snowfall since 1887 we're at 47.6 so far and will be over 52 by morning. Any advice you have to get me through would be great.

I am going to run to Caspers and talk to Tom and T.R. and see what they say. :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

It's been a great season for a new product, that's for sure... I've had dealers tell me that they're seeing failures on EVERYBODY's plows that they've rarely seen before. All that ice... A deflector's a stupid problem to have however.
    You're right that the contour is nice. We're taking that into consideration. What you're proposing shouldn't hurt anything as long as the fasteners are long enough. We're not using the "compliance" of the plastic for anything - so replacing it with aluminum shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
    Scott

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

hey scott whats the deal with all the weld problems we are having? Im going out to my dealer thursday and talking to him about my md75 did you say the deflectors are covered