1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plastic covers for Salt dogg 1500

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Sno4U, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Does anyone know, is there something that Buyers has done about the poor covers/plugs that go on rear electrical connections for the Salt Dogg 1500/2000. I feel this is something that is seriously under engineered and maybe Buyers should step up to the plate w/ a retrofit. I take off my spinner to pull a skidloader trailer at times during winter so, it is important that salt doesn't get into unprotected plugs.
    Mine have both broken in the 1st year of ownership and am stuck (now) just filling w/ electrical grease.
  2. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

I actually cover mine with duct tape when unhooked and stick it up behind the wire running to the auger motor. Kind of a pain, but I agree their cheap plastic plug cover sucks...
  3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

Knock on wood, but I haven't broke mine yet, but I don't unhook it either since we have a few trucks to use.
    Ok Snow Dogg guys. Step up and offer a suggestion here..:D
  4. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

OK, I'll bite...

It's been cold this winter - causing a higher than usual number of complaints about this. We are always evaluating our products, and clearly these little caps are a problem. I have had similar problems with our plow harness connectors.

Some of my dealers are telling people to keep the caps in their glove compartment instead of trying to stow them on the harness. Probably a not bad idea.

Your dealer should be able to get new caps in the meantime.

5. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Thank You for taking to time to reply. Are new caps a warranty item or is that not an option?
    ..call me cheap but, I've already dropped plenty of $$$ on a new spinner motor, auger motor (upgraded as long as the old one died) and a auger motor cover. Thru no fault of the unit the cover have to be replaced-I made stupid mistake and got it too close to the garage heater.:angry:
  6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

On my SPE1500 I can't take off the covers and put them in the truck. I am hoping, that Snow Dogg will make covers such as Western has that aren't so brittle when used. Just an idea for you.
  7. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

They all should have been made as rubber boots, similar to FISHER Harness caps, hope this helps.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I took a page from the Snoway book and got male plug bodys to snap into my truck side plugs when not in use. They lock in cleanly and stay there.