1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plasma cutters

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ddb maine, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I've searched through and couldn't find any previous discussion. I'm considering a plasma cutter. I have found a company called cutmaster. They make reasonably priced models $400-$600. I have a 120v welder and do fabrication only for my own equipment when necessary. Any one have any knowledge of this company or another that makes reasonably priced plasma cutters? I'm really tired of using a 4.5" angle grinder to cut 3/8 steel.

Thanks ahead.

2. Ozark Hillbilly

Ozark Hillbilly Member
    from Misery

From what I have seen the cheap chinese plasmas can work ok. Unlike the cheap migs which because of their flimsy and jerky wire drive do crap work compared to my Miller mig, the cheap plasmas seem to do better since they are not dependent on mechanical precision.

I have used an acquaintances plasma that I recall said "cut 40" on the case and was obviously a cheapie (sorry, I don't remember the brand but I wouldn't be surprised if the bargain chinese cutters are pretty equivalent to each other.), and it cut some 1/4 inch flat bar just fine. But not quite as fast as my Miller 375 would have so I suspect they probably fudge the ratings somewhat.

Depending on what you are cutting you may also want to consider having a bandsaw as I Probably use mine twice as often as the plasma.

Bottom line to me is I won't weld with a cheap mig but I think a cheap plasma is workable.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I have a Thermal Dynamics, everyone I have talked to said they are the best for the money.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

forgot to mention, the Cutmaster is made by Thermal Dynamics

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

We have a Thermal Dynamics also- cut's a good bit heavier stock than it's rated for too- rough cut but cut's it none the less. Best value for the money hands down. Just be careful of the connections on the machine- loaned it to a friend who snapped the regulator fitting off the back- expensive repair.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

7. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

DAMN!.. i searched cutters not cutter.

Nevermind guys, Thanks for the link linckeil.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I just replaced a Hypertherm 1000 with a Powermax45 by hypertherm, manufacturered in NH it is light enough to carry on your shoulder up a ladder and use while carrying. Half the size and weight it out performs the HT1000 I had. It is a little more money. You can find it online for around $1550.00 well worth the cost.

9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I've had a Hypertherm Powermax 30 for about 2 years and love it, I don't do much with metal over 3/8" and so far it has performed flawlessly. A great unit for the money.