1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plans for the Symposium?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by North Country, Apr 7, 2004.

1. North Country

North Country Senior Member

This is our first year at the symposium, I was wondering who is going from plowsite? Maybe I could put some faces to the user names.....

Also how many of you bring multiple members of your company? With the class track system this year it would be a huge benefit if you could.

What to bring? Is there an item that when you got to the show you were like "Damn, I wish I brought ......."?

Do you share company materials and ideas or put your head down and take some serious notes?

I attend many training seminars and meetings for my other job but each one is different and there are different methods to get the most out each. - michael

2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Quite a few will be going from PS.
    Some people bring employees and it's a great thing to do if your employee is dedicated to you and helping your company be more susessfull.
    One item I wish I would have brought is a digital camera and a laptop to upload as many pictures as I could possibly take.
    Aside from that I wish I would have brought a bigger appitite to eat all the yummie food...

Company materials would be a bonus to share and compare with other contractors. Contracts/forms, etc...
    Do not put your head down for a minuite, you may miss something. Take many notes, as there is so much great info, tips and ideas that go arround there is no way someone could possibly remember everything. The binders are full of great information I still go through them today.

The trade show is an exelent oppertunity to see new products out there, what has been arround, and with everyone in one place you will find yourself running back and forth comparing products and features that you may have never even thought of using or knew existed that could help your business out.

Attending the Snack & Chats are a MUST! This year over 50 tables 10 chairs at each. Pick a table topic you want to discuss, sit down enjoy lunch and chat away about the topic.

The planed events are great, but that is only part of the experience. Haning out between events and in the evening at the bar (this hotel has 3), is worth going for alone. A great oppertunity for networking with people from all over, other contractors, vendors and BS'ing about the industry and your business.

Being the small, young company that I am. It was great talking to the "big" guys in the industry as well as the little guys like me, sharing ideas and thoguhts. I sucked in as much info as my tiny brain could hold. Weather your a 1 man operation of a 100 truck fleat everyone has something to learn from eachother and is willing to openly discuss most every aspect of thier comanies with eachother.

Plan on getting as little sleep as your body can function on as guys stay up untill the bar/restraunt closes BS'ing away. And at all hr's of the night you can catch groups of guys chatting away in the hallways. You will not want to go back to your room as you will be having such a great time.

As far as the education sessions, I would suggest if you come up with a couple guys, send them all to diffrent rooms suck in as much as thay can and go over everything when you get back home...

If an idea comes into your head you may want to change or use in your company WRITE IT DOWN. Your brain can not possibly remember everything you will learn.

Not all information you will learn may be of use to your company at this moment but suck it down for fucture refrence/expansion...

SUCK SUCK SUCK as much info as you can possibly take in... Your brain will be stuck on information overload for weeks following the event so be prepared for when you get back...

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Ditto on what Got Grass said. Maybe a small recorder in case you get tired of writing down all the ideas that you hear. LOL

We will be there with at least 10 employees.
    Seems like every year the show just gets better and better.

See Ya There!

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

this will also be my first year at the event. i was planning on going when it was in colorado but had a conflict. and now i just got a new 2004 chevy for the fleet. and will be looking to decide on what plow to go with

5. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

hey carl, go with the blizzard 810 if you've got a 3/4 or bigger. i was concerned about spending the extra money at first and wondered if they were reliable enough to last very long. now i own three and will probably by another one before next season. you can get so much more done, you have to keep looking for more accounts.

6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

yea i reallize that but alot of my worries are with the dealer in town and his lack of care about my purchase; plus i have been told alot of storys about his "tailgate warranty" as some locals call it. i will probably still get one but iam also stell open for other ideas

7. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

dont let a bad dealer get in the way of a great plow that will speed your whole operation up. tthe only problem i've had is a blade that chipped when i hit a man hole cover, had a spare and replace it in about ten minutes

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I will be there, and be pimping the plowers directory I am building, just ordered 5000 3 color business cards to pass out to whoever me and my family meet

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS..............Northwest airlines is expanding to the east coast.
    Round trip from Syracuse NY to Minn. Mn. is $139 bucks !
    Cheaper than buying gas !
    Check your local airport. Maybe Northwest is offering deals
    from your local city !

There is still rooms avail. at the Hyatt for SIMA folks at reasonable
    discount from rack rate. You must ask for the SIMA rate !

If you are a SIMA member there is a discount admission package
    avail. It expires soon tho........ So purchase now !...........geo