1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plans for next season?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JElmWin, Feb 28, 2004.

1. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

There's alot of chatter about this season winding down. What plans, modifications, equipment upgrades etc. are you going with next season? Anybody getting out?
    My new Dodge got pretty beat up these past two seasons. I've had it with some of these rural obstacle courses people call driveways. So I'm ditching the pain in the a** accounts.
    Treating my '03 2500 to a brand new bed/tailgate/bumper and new paint for cab. Getting a new spreader. Switching to all salt from sand/salt mix. Going to try a few things I've picked up here.
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

im still going to plow next season i dont think this season is done though
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As far as route size and equipment, I'm just about where I want to be. Maybe add two or three more small driveways. Or another private road.

The big one for me might seem completely wrong to everyone else - BUT I'm building another shed -- for sand (no salt mix). This shed is going to be built six feet off the ground so I can back the Vbox under the floor and use gravity to load. The floor will be constructed so I can remove the middle a section at a time so there'll be a minimum of pushing sand. Instead of using a salt mix to keep the sand from freezing, I'm going to treat the sand with Magic -0. I think it'll be cheaper than buying the sand/salt I am now. It will also stop the rusting of my Vbox.

For me, lumber is very cheap. I mill my own using my own trees and a chainsaw attachment or I can go to a neighbor who has a portable mill and has a regular lumber business. His lumber is full dimension and less than half of a lumber yard.

The next thing is something I actually started this season. I have wanted to expand my sanding business, but haven't been real successful since people don't want to pay what I charge for sanding. Since I've started plowing exclusively with my one ton which has the sander and I've been keeping about a yard of sand in it for ballast, I've had customers ask about sanding after I plow. It's always just a small amount - maybe a hundred pounds. So I just tack on $5 and they're real happy. So next year I'm going to use that as a marketing tool.

Getting out? This would be the worst time to get out - after a "bad" season. There must be a business principle about when income is down and money is tight, spend more on advertising.
  4. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

When I asked about "getting out" I meant retirement. Didn't mean to insinuate that dry spell creates quitters. We did discuss the abundance of used plow trucks for sale here in Northeast. I think that's due to manufacturer's incentives, low interest rates etc.
  5. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Ill be taking my off season time to do some needed maintenance on my truck. Just today i started to rewire my lights on my truck (New light bar and switch box).

But the biggest thing I want to do this off season is expanding my customer base. I'm going to concentrating on 3 mile radius of my house. Other then that my reg job and my tree service should keep me plenty busy...Rob
  6. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Will be adding a salter ( receiver style ) and adding 3 or 4 more commercial accounts. Its hitting 58 here today so winter is pretty much gone. I want to sell my car and get another truck, little older, that's my big summer plan.

Best of luck to all of you still plowin'

7. JunkFood331

JunkFood331 Junior Member

I also will be adding a salter ( receiver style ). I was thinking of a littler one like the Buyers mini-salt. It doesnt look to bad for $500-$600. Has anybody had any good or bad experience with them??

I also think that the winter might be over for us around here. :cry: It was 50 yesterday, 44 now, and its to get up to 55 today.
  8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just make sure that you buy the SUV Pro, and not the cheaper one. The Pro has the large motor the size of a coffee can, the cheaper one has a motor the size of a coke can and probably won't last 1 event. I have the Pro and we have run 6-7 pallets through it this winter with no problems. I have a buddy that bought the smaller on and has gone through at least 3 motors, and Buyers finally sent him the larger motor.
  9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Plan on getting a new truck f250 or dodge 2500 and retiring the 1990 f250 to a back up plow.Getting a boss plow installed on our other dodge giving us three trucks for next season if needed.Aslo plan on getting a new spreader at some point.
  10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think were going to get anymore plowable events this season. Its one thing for it to be warm for 2 or 3 days but its been warm now for a good part of feb. My plow will be in the garage in "hook up" position until late april.

As far as next season goes i plan on making a few changes. When i started plowing i planned on only doing family members a couple friends and a few nighbors. Maybe 8 drives total. But we all know how that goes before long everyone is asking you to plow for them. I did 37 drives and one small parking lot on a regular basis this season. Next season i plan on doing two more parking lots and thats it, no more drives. The new lots are bigger and better traveled than the lot i do now so i think ill be getting a small spreader. One that goes on the trailer hitch that i can take off as soon as iam done. I was thinking about a back plow but i plow for some money, but mainly for fun and something to do in the winter so iam not looking to break any speed records. I can get all my drives clear with out a backplow besides i don't need much more weight on my 1/2 ton. A family friend who is moving to Florida wants us to buy his '99 Dodge Dakota ext cab with a curtis 7' poly plow. I would not mind having another truck but i don't know where i would find room in my garage to store another plow as i would never leave one outside. I have plenty of room in my driveway for another truck. He is leaving for FL in late april so we have to decide by then. I can't see myself getting the truck unless my neighbor who owns a landscaping company decides he wants to pay me to use it on some of his residentials, which he has talked about doing since he needs a smaller truck to do drives with.

Other than the addition of the two lots, a small spreader and maybe another plow truck (which i don't really need) my only goal is to keep my route exactly where it is now. I don't want less and definately don't want more. I have plenty to do during storms, i don't need to over do it.
  11. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have a buyers with the exposed motor. I am very unhappy with it. Constant moisture and corrosion problems with the motor shaft. Seal gets torn up then moisture gets into windings. had magnet corrode to armature half way through 2nd season. Motor had to be replaced...Chuck
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2004