1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Planning Ahead

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pristine PM ltd, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Hi guys,

Just planning ahead for next season and want to know your advice on something. We will be doing three townhouse complexes that we will have to do their driveways at. We think a jeep with a blade will be best for these driveways. Each driveway is about 10-15 feet long and will only be back dragged. What blade would you use for a 2006 TJ knowing it will only be back dragging.

We are not sure about a pull blade due to cost and that we don't want to completly limit what the jeep can do.

We like the sno-way downpressure, but have never used one. We also like Blizzards and the 720LT seems like a decent blade.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

2. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

i think the best way to do small drives were there are alot to do is deffinitly with a blower. I help out someone who had a account similar to what you have its 25 units all with a driveway and then extra parking spaces. He has a front mount mower than has a cab and snowblower and we can get through all the driveways in just over an hour. Cant beat it in productivity but you also would need something for the roadways.
  3. Pristine PM ltd

We plan on doing about 300 of these small little one pull back driveways.... I don't think a blower would be productive for that many.

These are going to just be pulled out and then the big truck that is doing the roadways will take care of pushing it to the sides, then the jeep will just have to come back to open them up.... is the plan anyway.

Thanks though, I just don't think a blower would work for us
  4. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

what about a hiniker c plow
  5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you go with one of the smaller plows, it might not weight enough to give you good scraping. I saw a crew doing a large townhouse complex and they used a bobcat. It was fast and scraped to the asphalt. I had 2 guys using snow-ways working commercial for me and they both plowed great. If I were doing all residential I would look into one.
  6. Pristine PM ltd

We would love to have a bobcat, but I don't think that will be in the cards for awhile. The jeep seems like the most pratical option. The C Plow looks really neat, but is to heavy for the jeep I believe. Sno-way is our best option I think, but I just wanted to hear advice on if they would be the best option for this. Any ideas on what model? The 22 looks like it might be our best option.

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Can you put a back blade with downpressure on the jeep. That would be the best option. If you go with snoway, make sure your electrical system on the Jeep is up to the task. Running downpressure all the time will require two batteries and a good alt. If you go with the snoway, I'd fab up a back blade on it so it scrapes even better.
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For 300 driveways - all needed backdragged, I'd recommend reconsidering a back blade in addition to the front plow. The time savings in not having to turn around will pay for it pretty quickly.
  9. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Some equipment companies offer seasonal leases. Would that be an option for a compact traactor & bucket or small wheel loader? Our municipality was offered a CAT with a 1 yd. bucket for 2000/mo. Do you know someone with any type of machine that you could use or sub him out to use?? Find a construction/excavation co. A lot of machines will spend a good deal of winter sitting if they are not used for snow removal. Make a deal.
  10. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

300 drives

For that many i would go with the back blade also 10-15 feet long that would be the right tool.Add a back up cam to the cd-player flip screen your in
  11. westwind

westwind Member

have you considered a skid-steer, brand new jeep= 1 year old skid.
  12. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Was that us in Kitchener? Anyways we've been using this system since 1994.
    Call Trevor at Hertz-Matthews Bobcat. He sold us the 463 and the SB150 (4 feet wide) blower in 2003. About $30,000 Cdn for both, about the price of a light plow truck and blade. Ramps up into the 2500HD Duramax. Driver and operator quickly fall into a system for working a site. The 463 can quickly swap the blower for the bucket to load salt.Try doing that with a pickup truck. 6 feet tall we can store 25 tons of bulk salt in the garage. savings in time and money right there
  13. Pristine PM ltd

I know a bobcat would be quick but our problem is that we need a vehicle to get to the locations. Our other trucks will be plowing with salters and not able to tow. Each townhouse is about 10 Kms from each other and we also want the guy that will be driving the jeep, to drive the jeep in the summer for a residential crew. We also will be leasing as we do not have that much cash to buy and we have the tax room.

I didn't know about the downpressure taking up alot more battery power. I looked at the jeep website and it does not say anything about a plow prep package. Is there such a thing or would we have to do this aftermarket?

The back blade is something that we will have to look into more, but I worry that the guy driving the jeep will smash into a garage door at first... I would just feel safer if he could easily see the blade as this will be his first year plowing.

I really appriciate all the ideas and help. I am going to go out to DLS in Oshawa and take a look at the sno-way.

14. fernalddude

15. Pristine PM ltd

ah, now that would make things better. Thanks, great idea.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

No. They company I saw was in Ballantrae just north of Stouffville on hwy 48. They were doing approx. 400 townhouses and at the end of construction there were going to be 1000. They had a dump truck doing the roads, a bobcat with blade doing driveways and a bobcat with bucket moving the piles at the end of the driveways up on the frront lawn. These driveways are around 25' long. They kept salt on site and would load the dump truck with the bobcat. They also had a tractor with blade doing sidewalks.
  17. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

A back-blade would be ideal.I wouldn't buy one from a plow company Id make it or have it made. The dodge we use has a homemade back-blade. Excellent for doing driveways. Theres a pic of it here. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=23810

I'm not comfortable with the hitch mount design. The B.B on the dodge is hooked up to plate welded to the frame. The truck lifts up in the a$$ end quite a bit when the the blade is put down.

The ultimate way to do these driveways would be with the pronovost PXPL blower http://www.pronovost.qc.ca/pxpla.html. The boss made one and it works great. This wouldn't work right now for you but if at some point you could dedicate a tractor to each location then the pronovost blower would work the best.
  18. fernalddude

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  19. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

with 300 of them I would go with a back blade definatly
  20. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

back blade would be ok but the right way is a skid steer with large snow bucket or even a plow blade....talk to local excavating companies as mentioned above to rent one from nov-march and just charge the customer the rental fee. you could do the same with a rental place but you might be paying more per month.... just leave the machine on site all winter.