1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Planning ahead

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAZ982500, Mar 1, 2010.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

The storm that hit the area past week gave us about 17".I have a 86 chevy 6.2 diesel that is the truck for plowing .During the night, when it was snowing an alternator went bad as well as solenoid on plow.There were no parts stores open until 8am so the plow was down for the whole night and part of the morning.Now I own a 99 Ford Powerstroke without a plow.After this experience I was trying to decide a couple of things about my business first,I was able to get a friend to squeeze in my commercial jobs before morning but all residentials went without plowing until at least 11am .And second , I thought as I have in the past about a backup truck one, either buying another one or a blade for FORD.I really was hoping to preserve the powerstroke for daily drive, pull landscape trailer but after this experience I am wondering.The other option is to get another truck which is alot more in insurance and repairs etc.As far as residentials I am considering writing in an agreement that the snow will be removed within 24 hrs of the termination of snowfall.I do not have a big plow route in fact it is rather small 3 commercials a 15 driveways.I do a good job and have had some customers for years any thoughts about dealing with this situation do I need 2 plow trucks for work load and dealing with customers calling and wondering were you are.What is a reasonable time frame for removal of snow.DAVE
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

since you already have a second truck, adding a third just to be a backup would be an unnecessary expense. I understand your wanting to keep the 99 in good shape, but if you only use it in instances like this you wont do much harm. As for the 24 hours, I myself would look at that in the contract and think of how packed the snow will be 24 hours after, and that it would never come up well when you finally came. Unless you word it something about a guarantee "within 24 hours in case of breakdowns"

Im assuming that you have a speedcast, or something similar for the 86, maybe you could get a Minute Mount or similar and be able to sell the plow of the 86, then you wouldnt have to keep a second plow?
  3. Freebird

Freebird Member

Most residential are going to want the snow done faster than 24 hours especially if they have work the next day and can't get out of the drive. Have some sort of backup plan ready for the residential's if this happens again like you were lucky enough for commercial. People are not going to be patient and wait that long IMO.
  4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Always have a backup for each service provided, even if they are less than ideal. My setup when I used trucks were completely interchangeable. Plows would fit either truck, and salters would also. So no matter what broke I could still plow and salt. Now I use the Kubota, and the plows will fit either the Kubota or the Bobcat Skidsteer, and I can salt, or spray with the truck. Not ideal or as fast but still can keep going.
  5. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

People start calling me 2 hrs after the strom to see if I am coming :realmad:.
  6. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Your cheapest backup solution would be to get a mount for the ford to match your current plow. And only use this truck when really needed if you want to conserve the 99. And If the 86 totally dies and not wanting to repair it ,then you have the 99 as your primarry plow rig, then you can buy a newer truck as the daily driver.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I agree with Mark on this.
    A different mount is cheaper and quicker
  8. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

a mount for the ford would be ideal, as well as a second plow if you can find a cheap one...that way you'll be covered if the plow goes down as well.
  9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

the only problem with getting a universal plow for both trucks is that the first time you have to plow with the 99 powerstroke you will NEVER want to plow with anything else :bluebounc
    youll find your self making excuses just to plow with the 99 instead lol
  10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

how big are these commercial contracts, if they arent that big, look at a larger snow blower, sucks to say, but in a dire situation, 15 accounts and a couple small commercials are easy enough to do with a snowblower.
  11. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I don't think the degree of difficulty is at question hear but more so the time it would take to do them with a blower. He needs to have them all done within a 24hr period. Using a snowblower on even a small commercial lot is going to take much longer then a plow.