1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plan of attack??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moose's Mowing, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Moose's Mowing

Moose's Mowing Senior Member
    from SE PA

I'm in SE PA and we sometimes will get ice and/or snow in the same storm. Sometimes it'll start as freezing rain then turn to snow, or start as snow and turn to ice. When this is predicted, what's your plan of attack for plowing res driveways and lots? If it starts as freezing rain, I guess there's not much you can do about it. At least not me since I won't be salting. But if it starts as snow then is predicted to turn to ice, do you guys wait until the storm is over to plow? This way, it snows then gets iced over on top of the snow and the ice will be plowed away with the snow. Me thinks it'll be harder on the truck this way, but should maybe leave a cleaner surface vs plowing the snow, then getting ice on a newly plowed drive. What do you guys think I should plan to do in this situation?

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

When possible ( ie. the client can wait ). It's actually not hard to plow snow that has a top frozen layer. It is actually crusty and pops fine.

However, if the temps rise in this condition then you know it will drop and freeze you best get that up fast just before the refreeze - then it is very hard to plow.