1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plain ole rock salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BIG M, Dec 8, 2002.

1. BIG M

BIG M Member

In this last storm for my smaller lots and drives I used 50# bags of rock salt.
    They cost $4.95 a bag. We applied them with a hand spreader and the results were great as usual.
    Can someone sell me on a cheaper more efficent ice controler/deicer/snow melter?
    That I don't have to purchase in bulk?
    If there something better i'd like to hear about it.
    Thanks.
    "Snow is green"

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

around here rock salt is about the same price, its discounted a little if you buy a full skid. bulk is the way to go, around here 1 yard of rock salt goes for $89.00. if you dont have a place to store it loosley, look into some garbage pails, i used to store mine in them, and when i needed it i would fill up some compound buckets. much more expensive going with the bags, but also easier, and cleaner to work with

3. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I make my guys bag the bulk salt in sand bags for walks. As long as you dont tie them in a million knots you can reuse them. We only use them for walks so most of the time it gets put down by hand. They have a brand new broadcast spreader but they dont use it because the bulk doesnt flow so well. I have a couple i deas for a cure but I'm not sure yet.

Big M

If you got a tailgate salter with a vibrator you could use the sand bags. The savings using bulk over bags will pay for the salter. I have a buyers with a vibrator from karrier co that cost less then 1000 all together.
    Casey

4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

4.95 a bag thats too high!!

i get 50 pound bags of salt for 2.85 a bag an 25 pound bags at 1.80 shop around an get the best deal any questions feel free

5. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Salt

Call me crazy but we use the heck out of CULLIGAN salt. Flows extremely well. Easier to see on the ground. Cheap.:p

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I went in with two other guys and we bought a truckload of bagged salt ( twenty tons). It cost us $2.00 a bag. The cheapest price we could find locally was $3.00 a bag. We all use bagged salt, because none of us have a good place to store bulk salt. :) ;) :) ED