1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Placement question

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by k1768, Aug 23, 2014.

1. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm looking to get some rear/side lighting to be more noticeable when I'm backing into a road from drive/parking lot. At times I'm backing out mostly blind due to landscaping at the entrance. I figure the best solution would be bumper mounted, but I'd prefer a cleaner and more protected solution, which leads me to inside the tail lights.

I know that I want LED vs traditional strobes. My question/concern is if tail light placement will give enough side dispersion and not just the rear. Also, should I go with clear in the reverse section or red in the turn section?

Truck is a 2015 GMC, tail light lens configuration is Red/Clear/Red.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I know it is illegal here to have red or blue lights nothing but amber so if the law is the same down there you would be limited to amber in the clear if it fits or you could mount something under the bumper hat puts out more light for the very end if you do a light bar it should give enough all around light that a one in the tail lights would be ok. my truck I have just the bar and I did have them in the tail lights.

3. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I already have a light bar, but I'm not sure that it throws back enough light to really warn someone coming down the road and I can't always see until I'm already sticking out some.
    I did think about under the bumper as well, but I figured they'd get covered in snow too quickly.
    I know I can't run red or blue directly, but I think I'm OK with clears in the red lens.....as long as I always remember to turn them off while traveling.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Clear in the rev light sounds like your only option

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

The only other thing you could do but this would be portable , would be to make up something that sits high and anchor it in the stake pocket with some kind of plug that you can put in and out to get visibility at the end and up high. but that could be a pain then you would have to watch where you park because it might disappear.

6. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Stake pocket was a thought as well that I quickly discarded for the reasons you mentioned.

Dieslss, why would you say clear in reverse over in red lens? Not arguing, just asking the benefit of the one over the other, is it for the legality? This type of lighting is new to me and I'm looking for knowledge.

Thanks.

7. dieselss

Red is usually emergency as was mentioned. If you get strobes, the color of the lens is what color the strobe for max light output. So clear in the rev lens will be the brightest given you choices. And legal

8. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

OK. So I've got another thought.....
    Put clear in the reverse as suggested. Tap into the reverse wire, but run a line into the cab for a switch, with another line running back to the LEDs. This way during an event I close the switch and the LEDs will only come on when in reverse, solving the possibility of me forgetting to turn them off once back on the road, and saving me the trouble of turning on/off each time as well. Should work, right? Being LEDs the draw should be low enough that I won't need a relay?

Edit to add:
    Or if I find the reverse light trigger in the cab I can do a double throw switch for on/off/on-in-reverse, correct? I'd probably use a relay in that situation, since it can be mounted high and dry either in the cab or in the engine bay.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  9. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed.

Feniex cannons in the reverse lights.

10. dieselss

Now that could work. But. You know that your rev lights stay on when you put the trk in park and shut it off. So you'll be strobing all the time

11. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

That's right, I'd need to remember to kill the switch, or disable that feature. GM is new to me. Former Dodge man for over a decade. Didn't have to deal with superfluous light activity like this. I think the reverse light up when I unlock the truck too. Possibly if I located a true ignition on (doesn't stay on temp after engine off, or on before ignition) as the source......

12. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with a pair of clears in the reverse lenses.

13. dieselss

Cool. Pics or it never happened btw Bahahaha

14. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Pics may need to wait a little while. Unless you want pics of the box they came in. :rolleyes:

15. dieselss

Bahahaha......

16. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Finally got around to installing them today. Here's a shot of where I mounted them, they're not visible at all looking through the lens.

vertex_mounted.jpg

17. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Look at Soundoff' Signals LED Intersection light. It gives off great 90 degree light dispercement. They come in several color Combo's or Solid colors

http://www.sirennet.com/soent3.html

18. Tom@AWL

Tom@AWL Inactive

Good placement, you'll get some nice side coverage.

19. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks, seemed like the only good place for them. They do give off more light straight back, but still a good amount to the side. I'm happy with them so far.