1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pivotpro 1075 gearbox/spinner shaft issues

Discussion in 'SnowEx Products' started by viniferaguru, Nov 8, 2014.

1. viniferaguru

viniferaguru Junior Member

Small contractor here with a question regarding these 1075's.
    I have went through 5 of these units in just as many years. The reoccurring issues are with the spinner gearbox "locking up" after sitting in storage. My spreaders are stored inside a garage over the summer. Is there any preventative maintenance I can do to prevent the gearbox from locking up?

Looking inside of these gearboxes - the lubricant has hardened up and lots of grit in there. Are the mandrel and pressed bearing poorly designed / poor quality. Anything I can do to prevent grit/residue/debris from sneaking down there?

The stock poly spinners seem to last only about 1.5 seasons ( the "fins" on the disc get eaten up quickly ). The locking pin/bolt that holds the spinner and auger seem like cheap hardware (no luck removing them conventionally - drilling' em out ) Anyone know a sturdier alternative to the spinner disc?

Sorry to rant.. I can't be the only fool that is going through this. Your thoughts-
    :mechanic:

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I have never replaced a spinner, but have done my fair share of gear boxes. I thought I saw or read about a h.d. gear box but can't remember where tho. Maybe a search?

3. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Spray some FF under the spinner on the shaft and give it a spin, have a 1075 that is close to 10 years old and still works great using this method. Do it a couple times a year, and right before storage.

4. viniferaguru

viniferaguru Junior Member

Are you talking about compressed air with a FF nozzle?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid film.

6. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Fluid Film as stated, it will soak around the shaft and loosen the bearing. Aerosol can works best in this application. Crescent Springs carries it as well as some JD Landscapes and farm supply stores.

7. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

I am having the same issue. Mine was locked up after taking it from storage. I used pb blaster and fluid film and finnaly got it going, so i though. I had to regrease the gear box. I never took the motor and box out as it would have been a major operation.

I tried to spread with it on our first storm and it would spin a little then the controller would go into OL. Blast seems to work fine, however using it in normal operation it spins, then stops, then spins and stops. Everything is moving freely, but it seems to be pulling alot of amperage to make it work. Should i replace the motor and gear box?