1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pivot Pins

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Mike57, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Mike57

Mike57 Member

I have a stainless steel MD75 (full blade trip) on my chevy 1500 silverado crewcab. Last year I had to replace both pivot pins and the tubes they mount in because the pins sheared off leaving the plow dangling from it's mount. I inspect the plow pivots often this year.

I plow for about 2 hours per storm and we had only 6 plowable storms last year. This doesn't seem out of the range for a medium duty plow. Has anyone else hd this issue?

2. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

the pins were redesigned before this season to strengthen them.
    talk to your dealer and they should be able to help.

3. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

Mike, did you say you had to also replace the tubes as well? If yes, your over working the plow, the MD is not made for doing large lots and pushing tons of snow with ice in it. Slow down and take less snow with each run. If it was just the pins the broke that is a weak spot due to the grease holes drilled in the pins, it makes the pins weak. You can replace the pins with long bolts and nylock nuts but I would strongly suggest drilling and installing a grease zerk in the tube so you can grease it. I have modified a few Doggs and lots of Meyer plows this way.
    Good Luck

4. Mike57

Mike57 Member

Pin replaced

The pins failed and came out completely. The tubes were bent when the plow nearly fell off my truck. Both the pins and tubes were replaced at the end of the season last year under warranty. The dealer did not believe it was due to abuse. As I recall the bending was in the mounting plates welded to the tube and not the tubes themselves. The end with the cotter pin is the side that failed causing the pins to fall out.

Does anyone know how I can identify if the replacement pins are of the new design? The dealer who installed them is not in business any longer.

5. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I believe the updated pins are silver instead of a goldish color, Smoorman am I correct?

6. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Can't remember on the color, but the grease hole on the new ones is off-center. New part number is 16071110A

7. Mike57

Mike57 Member

Thanks for the info...I have the old style pins. I will see if the dealer in the next town can replace them.