1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pivot Pin Removal

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kmac, Nov 27, 2009.

1. kmac

kmac Member

I am trying to re-configure my ultramount to adjust for the height of the truck. How do remove the pivot pins to change holes?

2. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

you have to first jack it up(near pivot bar). Then take the legs off. Then flip your pivot plates for configuration. GM is postion 1 & 2. Ford is 3 & 4. I would explain in detail but if you go to westerns website and d-load the correct publication you should have no problem. I have done it twice...not hard at all.

3. kmac

kmac Member

I have the manual and need to move from 3 to 4. I cannot get the pivot pins out to change holes. How hard should it be to get them out? Is there a trick to removing them?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Very hard sometimes as they love to rust and corrode in there. Penetrating fluid, a BFH and often times heat is what it takes.

5. kmac

kmac Member

Other than the one bolt that goes through pivot plate and rust, is there anything else holding it in? Should the pin be able to spin inside of the tube or is it keyed somehow?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes if you removed the bolt then the only other thing holding it is rust. Yes it should turn in the pivot bar too but of course due to the rust it won't.

7. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Not keyed. They just slide right in when new.

Start soaking it with penetrating oil!

8. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

You should try heating up the metal around the pin and it should slide out, if not give it a few good whacks with a hammer and it will come out.

9. kmac

kmac Member

No such luck. PB Blaster. Tried to spin with a 36" pipe wrench. Broke the weld, one the pin plate. Had to do a lot of cutting / grinding. Need new pivot bar and pivot pins. I hope it doesn't snow for a bit.

10. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

I had a similar problem with my plow, But the "A" frame had a crack right at the pivot pin. What I did is I got a new pivot pin and slide it in place marked it on the "A" frame where I needed toweld it, removed the pin and welded the crack and made the arc. This worked for me I would imagine you could do the same thing with the pivot bar.

11. kmac

kmac Member

too late, I cut off the pivot bar. Everything was so seased I have to rebuild.