1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pivot pin question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AtlasFBG2, Dec 25, 2002.

1. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Snaped both the pivot pins off on my plow today.Im talking about the pins that hold the mold board to the plow frame.From the way they look they havent been greased in 20 years.Its on a 90 Chevy and guy i bought it from said it was on there since new.Lesson learned i shoulda serviced it ths fall before it snowed but i didnt.Anyway i tried heating them cherry red with a torch and beated on them but they didnt even move.So how the heck does a guy remove them?Any sugestions?

2. bdsean

bdsean Junior Member

put a cutting tip on the oxy/cetaline tourch and blow them out this should work and is easer than drilling

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Pivot Pins

Well this sounds like a Meyer plow. I use an air hammer to drive out the old pins once the tube has been completely heated cherry red. If this is on a "C" series plow you will have to drill or cut an access hole on the backside to heat the full length of the tube. It sometimes take quite a number of heatings to get the pins to start to move. You can also buy replacement tubes that can be welded in. I drill and add a grease fitting to all the plows that come in for service, at least they get greased once and a while. :rolleyes: John

4. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

Its a Meyer st90 plow.How do you get the air hammer to knock them out of the a frame part?Theres no room to get in there.Looks like ill take the a frame off and take it to the shop and have the replace the tubs.I dont have a big enough welder to weld that thick of steel.

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Pin Removal

There should be a hole in the steel at the back where the tube mounts up to the sector, you should be able to get a flat faced air hammer bit into the hole on a slight angle. The pins are usally not in to far on the frame so you may only have to drive it out an inch or so to get it moving, then you can finish driving it out the rest of the way with a long drift. :rolleyes: John

6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

The time I had to do it I used lots of heat and a piece of rebar.

This year I found one of the plows that was frozen up that way. I put a chain around a tree, and attached it to the top edge of the blade. I sprayed as much WD40 around as I could (which probably didn't do much good cause it wasn't getting inside the tubes). Then I heated the tubes and beat the general area with a hammer. It eventually came free.

DISCLAIMER: Any time you rig something up and put tension in that system there's a danger of something breaking, or just letting go all at once. If you try this and the chain snaps and takes your head off, or the pins break and the moldboard lands on your foot, or if the tree falls over on your truck, I never suggested that *you* try this method--I just said that *I'd* done it...

7. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I ended up just torching the tubes off and buying 4 new tubes and pins.Myer makes a greasable pin kit so i bought that.I tried heating them a few times and took a 3/4 inch piece of rebar and hit them with a sledge hammer.I must be a wimp or something cause they never even moved.Now just have to find a arc welder to weld them back in.Thanks for the tips guys.