1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pivot pin on unimount - causing binding noise?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by monson770, Oct 24, 2011.

1. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

got ol' red out for the fall time checkups, and she's making a binding noise as i lift. not lowering or really side to side but always when i lift it..
    my pivot pin seems to have elongated the hole it fits into, and i was told by the guy that works at ace hardware and does all of the in house reapairs that i need to stiffen the joint up so that there isn't as much play. but not to make it too tight, because some play is necessary to follow road contours..

my main question is more just for reassurance, if i tack weld some washers to the quadrant to sort of guide the bolt/sleave combo into the correct spot, is this going to break in the middle of a storm? or has anyone else done this and had it work?

my quadrant is a little beat up from last year, but if i can make it last this season i would be happy.. but if the concesus is that i shouldn't be trying out the "washer" idea, then at least i have some insight from some pros..
    any comments or questons ? i can upload a pic if need be..

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

pivot hole

no garuentee's it wonr break ,better fix it right the first time ,i assume it is were the main 1" pins are they probably need new heavy washer's and new pins .they get egged out after a while .

3. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

mine did that i took it apart and a friend welded the egged aframe hole and then reamed it out with a carbide bit on a die grinder then so that it was slightly larger than the bolt then made it all smooth and its great now. the washers might make it too thick?

4. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

i did buy a longer bolt and a new sleeve, so the length is accounted for.. i know i could weld the hole to fill it in a little, but i don't have the tools to open the hole back up properly.. but i guess tools are a mans best friend, and having one more can't hurt... thanks for the input, i will deffinately look into that.