1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pivot pin falls out on new MVP+

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mishnick, Nov 28, 2014.

1. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Today a customer came in with a new MVP+ complaining that it was wobbling and banging around on the road. With the blade elevated I pushed on one wing and found the whole plow was hanging on the chain and one pivot pin! The other pivot pin had fallen right out allowing the a-frame and blade to flop around like a fish on a line.

Looking closer I saw that the installer had put the two big flat washers on the bottom of the angle ram pins and no washers on the outside of the pivot pins. It seems that the missing washer allowed the cotter pin to rotate to the point where the lateral motion of the a-frame hammered the cotter pin straight enough to fall out. Perhaps the cotter pin was just not bent far enough but whatever was the cause it was a good thing we noticed it because eventually the stress would have sheared off the other cotter pin and left he plow hanging only by the chain.

Another new problem I have never seen before this year was a Wide-out hydro unit falling right off the upper lift frame. The three torx bolts that hold it on were not tightened securely and worked their way out until the hydro unit fell off and got caught between the a-frame and the cross piece on the lift frame. The operator only noticed because he couldn't get the plow to lift more than a few inches off the ground.

So if you have a new plow this year make sure you have a washer behind your cotter pins on the pivot bar, both sides. Make sure those two pivot bar cotter pins are bent right over and put a torx socket on those three bolts that hold the hydro unit to the cross bar of the lift frame. One more thing I learned from last year.... on the driver's side of the MVP+ and Wide-out, behind the plastic cover just above to the right of the motor relay there is a pressure test port. It has an ORB plug in the port and they are frequently not fully tightened at the factory. The o-ring kinda gets pushed out and they start to leak. Make sure that is tight too.

Other than this the new batch of plows we installed this year have been pretty good. We have had no broken welds from poor penetration or cold lap as was historically a problem in the past.

And remember, you guys with the new plows this year..... Put some grease in those zerks on the new pivot bar. Don't forget the one on the driver's side of the center bolt. :nod:
  2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

You have me thinking now I'll look in the morning at my MVP
  3. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I've had two brand new Wide-outs this year that had two of the four wing cylinder hoses routed through the clamps on the A-frame in the incorrect positions, yet they were labeled (with the stickers which designate A, B, C, and D) in the correct order. Had we not caught it, it surely would have resulted in damaged wing cylinders. I've also gotten in the habit of checking over every bolt and pin quickly, just to prevent issues like what you said about the pump falling off. Can't rely on anything to be the way it's supposed to be these days.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

So true. Used to be "made in America" meant high quality but the corporate system runs on shareholder profit not quality and reputation. Businesses are forced to cut costs which means lower pay and unskilled labor on the production line. They have no choice because they have to compete with the cheap junk we import by the boatload from China. We need to start buying "the best value" rather than "the cheapest" available. Maybe then the economy would rebuild and more jobs would stay in North America.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  5. plowman1984

plowman1984 Member

Looks like Boss Snow Plows is going to be owned by share holders now that Toro owns them
  6. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

You forgot to mark that as "Breaking news"

a month ago.:waving:
  7. timboy

timboy Member
    from Ny

I have seen a few loose mounting bolts on the power units and allot of pinched ground wires under the power unit covers lately causing the solenoids to stick on,this has been on Western and Fisher V blades with the new style power units.