1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pivot holes egging out

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by PTSolutions, Feb 4, 2011.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

anyone notice excessive play in the pivot pin area? the steel from the push frame has egged out around the pins that attach it to the light tower giving me movement. this is the same on all 4 of our boss plows and i know its from regular use, but a 2yr old shouldnt have this much movement. our oldest plow has holes that have egged out even at the top of the lift cylinder where the pin goes into the tabs on the cross bar, giving us less lift height.

i think this spring we are going to weld in plates on either sides of any pivot hole areas to reinforce and tighten up the plows. this steel seems kind of soft. the pins themselves show little signs of wear, its all in the frame components.

heard of the erie specials? well i guess this will be our "lake effect" package for boss plows lol.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

My 07 vee did that also. I took it apart, and brought it to the plow shop and they drilled the holes out and I had new pins made. Problem solved. I agree that the steel is kind of soft though.

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My plow is pretty loose as well! I talked to the dealer and was told it's common.

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Just a thought, I think you can buy 3/4" or 1" collars and if there is room you can weld them on each side of the holes. THis way you don't have to drill new holes plus it will give a larger wearing surface. Plus if you oval out the collars cut the welds and weld new ones on. This is how I have fixed many westerns of friends and family. Can't guarantee there will be clearence on Boss plows but makes it a lot easier and faster to do. My .02.

5. PTSolutions

I just Wanted to throw this up to see if neone else noticed it. We will be pulling them apart comespring for reinforcement. Along with doubling up the ends of the cutting edges. Id rather weld something then redrill the holes larger this way the pins ride evenly on all three pieces instead of the outer plates

6. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Keeping all the pivot points lubed will minimize wear

7. PTSolutions

if they were somewhat enclosed and had a zerk fitting to keep the grease in, then i would agree, but the movement will just squeeze the grease out of the sides and you'll be having metal on metal contact in no time, you would almost have to grease that up after every time out, at least for us.

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Before the storm, and about at the half way point in my route stretching my legs I get out my trusty little red straw on my FF can and grease everything up. No squeaking on my plow.;)

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Proper greasing makes all the difference. Add a grease fitting to the push frame so you can grease the horizontal hinge pin "on the fly". And pull the rear coupler pins out about every 40-50 hrs and throw some fresh grease on them. Doing it with the plow mounted it's less than a ten minute job. Excessive premature pin/hole wear is due to lack of grease, period.

10. PTSolutions

Got any pics of the fitting location for the horizontal pin?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Use a 45* and it's easily accessible.

Boss-Zerk install 024.jpg

12. PTSolutions

cool, thanks B&B going to be greasing everything up today.

13. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

Mine are egging out as well. I have covered the plow with Fluid Film, but still the rear couplers have egged out and I can shake the light tower from side to side when it's not mounted to the truck. When it is mounted to the truck, I can shake the plow. Damn thing is only 2 years old as well. Tomorrow I'm gonna put in some grease zerks like B&B described. I'll see how that works out....

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

While FF is an outstanding rust preventative and a decent lubricant it isn't a substitute for EP grease, so if you were depending on it to act as such that would account for premature pin wear.

15. PTSolutions

i know its common sense but no where in the manual does it state to grease any of these pivot points as maintenance.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If manufactures included everything in a manual that's common sense, you could use it to stand on to wash the roof of your truck. :D

17. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

That and the plows wouldnt be worn out in 3-4 years and you wouldnt need to buy a new one. I think most people wouldnt mind another $100 or so on the price of the plow if boss would put grease zerks on it.

18. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually,I've been a little lazy lately sort of because the neat new FF straws are so convenient for greasing but B&B is right,FF is too light.I use a needle injector on my grease gun to hit all the pivot points.Will be going back to it.

19. PTSolutions

i know on my mowers the manual has all the grease points listed on the picture, which is really nice b/c i know i would forget a few of them if it werent in there.

i do like the integrated straw holders in the caps of the new cans, much better than taping it to the side.

20. Drilled ours out and put in new bolts and pins after 8years (now 11)
    Antiseze but I like the grease fitting
    Maybe next year