1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pivot bolt loosening.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mmwb, Jan 17, 2006.

1. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

On my conventional 8' pro, the pivot loosens through use. This isn't a once or twice deal. I replaced all of the bolts/nuts, etc... before the season this year and after an event (I plow three lots, and three drives--including my own which is about as large as a small lot), the pivot is loose. I've a lock nut on it (one of the crimp style, not the nylon) and I've even tried a lock washer without out luck. It'll get loose enough that the blade will rock quite a bit when driving with it raised. I don't have a ft/lb torque wrench, but have been tightening it so that there is a fair resistance to turn it by hand without the angle cylinders connected. When I tighten it there is no free play and no movement beyond a wee bit of flex in the A frame if the blade is torqued up and down. I don't want to snug it to where it is causing undue work for the pump. Lock tite on the threads, more torque...suggestions?

2. bobcatgrant

bobcatgrant Junior Member
    from central

try a castle nut with pin-