1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pivot Bolt bad ???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by scottL, Dec 8, 2015.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I have an MVP. Noticed the chains seem not even when at rest. So I'm trying to figure out if the plow is twisted or something. When lifted the plow lists to the passenger side which it did not when new.

What I noticed was that Pivot Bolt seems to have rotational play. Side to side - not much just a little. It appears the weld by the double bolt isn't welded to anything.

Is the weld suppose to be to the inner liner or does the bolt need to be tightened?
  2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Are your cutting edges wearing down evenly? If not, that may be the issue.

Can you post a picture of what you're looking at on your plow? I just looked at my mvp to compare, but wasn't sure where you were looking specifically.

This is the manual

https://www.westernplows.com/wp/pdf/Mechanic's Guide - UltraMount MVP PLUS.pdf

Edit: saw that you're talking about when the plow is lifted, so ignore the cutting edge comment.
  3. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

You could have a broken pin on the end of the pivot bar. Check those.
  4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Had to rebuild my pivot bar bolt hole, sleeved it completely. Also had to fix the pivot pins on the ends. They will both make your plow feel sloppy and loose.
  5. scottL

I had always thought that I wanted more lift and the pivot area was the spot to look but I never touched them.

I'll look at the Pivot Pin later today. I did tighten the Pivot Bolt as it was sloppy. I suspect the hole is not true any more either.

I'll take a pic as well - it will show the list to the side much better. thanks for the reply's.
  6. scottL

Didn't get a pict yet. I did see the pivot pins are fine.

I did notice from the diagram and height specification I should have pivot plate in the 3/4 position and the pin in the 3 hole. Mine is in the spots indicating a height of 13".
    Soooooo, If I switch this to what it should be .... what does that do for me? Does it just alter the attack angle on the blade or does it allow the plow to raise more???
  7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

It will allow the cutting edge to sit level across when in scoop and vee. Cant you just shorten the chains a link to make pick higher.
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

13 inches....you driving a Chevy?