1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Piviot Bolt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jeffclc, Jan 31, 2000.

1. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

I have a Meyer PA plow. The plow is loose, as it wobbles side to side slightly while driving in the up position. I tightened up the nut on the center pivoit bold sevral times. It is a locknut with a nylon insert. Since it kept coming loose, I figured that the locknut's nylon insert was shot. I put a new locknut on, and used locktite. After a day of plowing, it is loose again. I see other Meyer plows wobbling going down the road.<p>I am thinking that I may drill a hole in the bolt and use a castle nut(like on a front wheel bearing) on it with a cotter pin holding it in place.<p>Any suggestions, comments, tricks, tips???

2. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

That's the achilles heel of Meyer plows. <br>Depanding on model, they use 3 or 4 intersecting plates at the Kingpin. It's a terrible design.<p>We welded another plate on the bottom for more strength/stability. As long as the nut is not coming off, I'd deal w/ the sloppiness, that's what most of the other guys do.<p>That bolt will never stay totally tight because everytime you angle the plow, the plate in contact w/ bolt hex and the plate in contact w/ the nut move in different directions, slightly loosening the nut.<br>

3. Lou

Lou Member

Jeff, ask Chuck if he can bring up the Meyer modifications posted on the old forum format. Since the mods, I have had no yaw with the blade.

4. cbuozis

cbuozis Guest

I have a 7.5 foot meyer plow with the same problem, I put a new bolt in (grade 8)and welded the nut on. It has not lossened yet, if it ever gets sloppy again I will cut it off and do the same thing