1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pittsburgh Sucks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by diesellandscape, Dec 7, 2009.

1. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

I dont know about you guys, but I'm from pittsburgh and it sucks. Low Ballers Low Ballers Low Ballers!

I've spent the past week following up with my mowing customers that i have bids in for snow removal with. Most lots are going for 1/2 of what their worth. Granted pgh doesnt see a ton of snow fall, but if its a $220 Plow & Salt I dont see how anyone can go in for half of that (I was told what some places went for). Salts about 100/ton (with tax) and they would need around 800-1000lbs of salt, i dont see how you can go in there for so low.

Makes me want to sell the plows and move to flordia.

Low Ballers **** me off!

And i thought my prices were cheap

2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I hear ya...

3. caddytruck89

caddytruck89 Senior Member

I know what you mean lost 4 games straight!!!

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if ur gonna move i would go to florida instead of flordia,,, heard bad things bout that place:p

5. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

My wifes fom Pittsburgh and we were up there a couple weeks ago and stopped in one of the national drugs stores and talked with the manager. and I agee, you do have lowballers. Half the price I would do it for and the guy was giving the salt away.$50 to salt. And about your football team. Thats a whole nother post. Go Colts!

James

6. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Primanti Bros. rule

7. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i agree i hate the steelers!!!!!! :gunsfiring::laughing:

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why you son of a bi..... oh, your talking about lowballers. Hey, careful with the thread titles. I got all worked up there for a minute :laughing:

Lowballers are coming out in droves this season.

9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Here's my latest Pittsburgh bid: I started cutting the lawn(Customer's house) of a manager of a Mr. Tire store this year. She said she needed a quote at the store. Drove down and took a look. Getting ready to tell her $150/plow & $100/salt, when she pulled out the other bids and showed me. Plow:$65 & salt$55. I started laughing and said I can't even come close to that. They're only making $10 to salt??

I'm $130 more for both. Haven't picked up any new ones this year.

10. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

Its amazing what people are doing the work for. I picked up one bp down in sq. hill. Other than that im low on work. Lost the dunkin doughnuts to splendid ( owners good friends with dunkin owner) (from what i was told by a manager friend of mine. Lost 1 church from last year to low ballers, and my bids at my mowing churches went the same way. why anyone would go out for $2 after salt and gas doesnt make sense, but they are prob sub.'in it to someone whos doing it for even less.

The only thing i can think of .....

The Guys in my area have been doing one of 2 things:

1) Spending all season swiping salt shakers from the fast food rest.
    or
    2) Bringing back salt water from the beach and boiling it.

oh well. its giving me more time to sit on here and cry.

snow/rain/ice tonight

11. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I think it boils down to a couple things. Low Ballers maybe need to make a truck payment etc and they may forget about the insurance and other costs. At least some money is comming in. They don't think about repairs or getting sued.

Those that switch to Low Ballers are trying to cut costs.... Period
    They feel that they just have to be satisfied with a crappy job and people will get used to walking through more snow etc. and like the Low Ballers, they just have to hope they don't get sued. Pretty is not important when they can save in hard times.

Just remember, All Decisions Are Made Because of Money.

12. yardatwork

yardatwork Member

I too thought about the Steelers when I saw the post!!!

But I'm with you PA folk. I put a bid on a 14 unit apartment complex for plowing drive leading to back lot, shoveling two stories of stairs, shovel sidewalk in front of the units, sidewalk leading from street to units, stairs from street to units, path to laundry room, path from front of units to back parking lot, and for salting (they pay actual cost for each bag of salt)...gave a bid of $100 on a 2"-6" snow. The lady called and asked me to break it up for just plowing and for just shoveling. I told her that I wouldn't cause my worker would be shoveling while I plowed. Now reason to have him just sit in the truck while I plow. Lady never called back.

Just yesterday I put a residential bid in for a guy up the road from me. He has about 150 yards of rough, rocky, pot hole, farm like uneven drive (you know, the type of road farmers drive their HUGE tractors on to get into the fields)...not even a gravel drive. Told him $50.00 for a 2"-6" plow...this drive will beat my truck and plow. He told me that he'd prefer a plowing when we get "like a foot of snow". I told him about $70.00 then. Left him a message on his phone...no return phone call.

People are still living in the era when you could afford to plow for $20 a drive. The can all grab a shovel or snow blower and see how long that take. Then figure out if I'm out of my mind when giving a price.

13. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

I'm glad I'm not alone!

Forget this snow, i'm gonna keep booking walls and everything else. I wished for snow and got rain, so now i want a few cold nice days to go make a couple thousand.

14. Premier

Premier Senior Member

yup them lowballers are out everywhere, got a call today from a guy down the road, he hired somebody not sure what he was paying, but i have a idea, switched to our service bitched about the price a little bit. and well the other guy should have had insurance cuz he needs a new garage door. :)

15. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

Pittsburgh is one city that is still doing well in spite of the economy.. That being said, there will always be lowballers everywhere. I'm thinking most of the winter income there comes from salting, because there isn't much snowfall. I've only really ever seen Meyers and light duty Western plows. So good luck Pittsburgh guys, keep salting as much as possible. Hopefully the accounts that understand the concept of paying for good service will keep you going strong

16. deere615

yeah I havent really got any new lots this year got maybe 1 or 2 drives but also lost a few. Lost a big lot and since also since owner brought a truck w/ a plow
    well put but despite Pittsburgh doing decent we have an enormous amount of lowballers

17. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

Its ok, hang in there. The Browns will be in the Super Bowl next year!!!!! LOL

Been hearing that since I was a kid--and I'm a little bit old.

18. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

well put but despite Pittsburgh doing decent we have an enormous amount of lowballers[/QUOTE]

sorry to hear that.. i worked down there the last two years and i'm surprised to hear how many lowballers you have.. all i can say is, our sub rates for plowing in erie have dropped a lot as well. I'm hearing about guys taking $30/hour with their own equipment:dizzy:

19. deere615

wow thats quite low I have heard between 45-55 around here and that still seems a bit low for me

20. diesellandscape

diesellandscape Member

yea for $30 i'm staying in. I got caught subbing for a big comp. around here. Luckily They let me bid the 2 properties I do, but i help out from time to time and the pay is more like a favor.