1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pitting

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by karl klein, May 3, 2005.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i am very disapointed in the condition of my rams after one year they all are pitting and lifting ram is very bad i am guessing from how it operates it always bottoms out. none of my westerns are pitting or rusting

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Karl, We had quite a few units come in with pitting on the rams after the first year or two. Common thread on all of them was they were never cleaned up at the end of the year and had alot of salt residue on the plow when they came in just before snow for service. The cylinders were still covered with a white haze in alot of areas.

None of the plows had been soap and water washed at the end of the season and the owners hadn't put any type of grease on the exposed sections of the rams. The plows sat outside directly on the ground and alot of them had the grass attached that had grown up around them in the summer or had the coating from the mower throwing grass on them.

We had a couple that had been greased but had the salt covering the ram under the grease and these pitted.

I can say I haven't seen very many come in with pitted rams that had been cleaned and greased at the end of the season.

We have the same problem with Blizzard, Meyers, Western, Fisher and Boss plows here as you did with your Blizzard. The common thing is no end of season cleaning and maintenance and poor storage conditions.

Jerre

3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

well i washed mine about once a month in this winter same with my other western and boss plows and this is the newest and the worst i have ever seen my western doesn't have a single spot of rust on the rams and i think it is just a poor chromed finish.

4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

You might be able to get the pitting out with some emery cloth or some scotch brite. I can't remember if I read this or not somewhere but someone recommended putting petroleum jelly on it but I dunno.