1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pitting on the lift ram?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MJD82, Mar 12, 2009.

1. MJD82

MJD82 Member

I have a conventional cable operated western that has been sitting for a while so i pulled the motor\pump assembly (combination of old fluid and water\ice) I disassembled it down to the housing, was parked with the ram lowered all the way but with the water in the case it pitted the ram pretty good. the rest of the internals once it was drained and cleaned checked out ok. my question is is the pitting going to effect the overall operation of the ram\pump? next season will be my first season plowing for myself want to know if i can get away with one more season or its a ticking time bomb that I should replace the ram now? any input would be helpful.

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Without seeing it I'd have to say your likely to have some water that will get into the tank. A new packing kit may help but if your ram is pitted it's likely to leak. If you have the funds and are planning on using the plow for more seasons then yes i would invest in a new ram. But on the other hand parts for a cable driven plow are getting harder to find. Even the parts for a unimount are getting hard to find these days. If you are planning on getting a new plow with in a year I'd say run it as is and just keep and eye on your fluid for water.

3. MJD82

MJD82 Member

Thank you for your response i am only hoping for one more season out of so before upgrading I appreciate it

4. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I agree. Maybe keep another packing seal kit just in case. You'll need it anyway if you change the ram.

5. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

If its that old of a unit i dont think i would even bother with changing the packing then, might end up causing you more headaches. Just plan on changing the fluid a couple of times next season to keep it from freezing up on you.

6. MJD82

MJD82 Member

Thanks to all