1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pitman arm removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by crazy_cooter56, Jun 3, 2003.

1. crazy_cooter56

crazy_cooter56 Junior Member

I'm installing a 4" lift on my blazer and looking for suggestions on the best way to remove the stock pitman arm. I've heard this can be a real fun chore. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    :drinkup:

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

A good quality pitman arm puller,and a strong impact gun is the easiest way.It should come off with that.If it doesn't,run the puller up as tight as possible and smack the side of the pitman arm (between the puller legs) with a BFH,It should pop right off.

If you don't have the proper tool,you can probably borrow or rent one from the local parts store.You would still need access to shop air and an impact gun though.It may be cheaperand easier to just take it to a shop and have them do it for you.If you have the box out of the truck,you can just take the box to a shop and have it removed.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

just make sure the new one goes on pointing in the same direction

cardoctor

:bluebounc

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The simple answer is to get a 4" drop steering arm. Much easier to do, and no special tools to do it.

~Chuck

5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Chuck, A raised arm would work better.:D
    I could change a pitman arm quicker the steering arm. I have done 3 of the raised arms and every time it sucks to say the least. Another way is to cut the pitman arm with a cut off wheel close to the shaft then split it. Just be carefull.
    I think the arm is only a 3inch raise though so maybe use a 1inch pitman arm as well as the 3inch steering arm.

6. crazy_cooter56

crazy_cooter56 Junior Member

the steering arm is what I was actually refferring to. Don't know why I said pitman arm. Managed to get it changed today though, lots of beating and banging.