1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pitman Arm Help Needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RedArrow, Aug 9, 2011.

1. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

Hi guys,

Need some help!!! Trying to replace the pitman arm ('04 2500HD). I was able to replace the idler yesterday. TI have 2 of the 3 bolts out of the steering box and the third loose. I have the p arm remove from the transfer link and the bolt off of the stud holding the pitman to the gear box. I have soaked it with PB blaster for 6 hours now and using a puller I can't get it to move. I even snapped a cast puller attempting. Not really excited about using heat, it could transfer into the steering box which could cause grief there. Any ideas? Turned into a bigger PIA than anticipated. :gunsfiring: :realmad:

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Impact gun and a snap on puller is what I use.

3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I have a snap on puller i use with an impact gun.

puller.JPG

4. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I just did my Pitman arm Saturday and it was a nightmare. My buddy and I ruined 3 pullers (2 cheapo's and 1 that looked similar to that Snap-On one). We ended up using a die grinder to cut the arm as close to the shaft as possible and then used a chisel to crack it open. Fell right off!

5. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! I ended up removing the steering gear and taking it to a local shop. He'd never seen one so tight, but we got it off. Two words to the wise: 1. Come with the big guns on this project (harbor freight tools won't get an old nasty pitman arm off) 2. If you have to take out the steering, make sure to get everything alinged so as to not mess up your steering :)

Good news is, the fornt end is as tight as one on the showroom floor!! Thanks again.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I had to use a cutting wheel on mine.

7. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

usually I use an impact gun, put a load of torque on the puller, and then hit with a large ball peen. This removes even the stubborn arms.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

......................and heat won't hurt anything if you use it properly.

9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I always use a cutting wheel and an impact hammer with a chisel tip.

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

They put loctite on the spines ...Makes them hard to get off..
    But do-able...
    Did mine thought I broke some thing with a bang but came off..