1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pistons

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by uniquechev, Dec 13, 2009.

1. uniquechev

uniquechev Member

Anyone out there know if you could put a cocking or sometihng of that sort at the end of the shaft of the pistons to stop leaking ? I really dont want to blow 100 on each piston right now . Thanks guys

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I highly doubt that would work. There more like $45 for the angle cylinders I believe.

3. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Can't use caulking there :) As long as its holding pressure you can run it leaking if your short on cash. Just keep in mind you will need to add fluid, and moisture will also get in there, so if it gets really cold and your plow doesn't work, you may need to drain the fluid and get the ice out in the frigid weather a day before a storm. No big deal.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Two complete cylinders for less than $100? I thought they were almost $100 each.

To the OP - you can rebuild those. Your dealer should have the seal kit. The trick is getting the packing nut out. You should get the correct sized wrench. A pipe wrench can crush them. I would start soaking the packing nut threads with Fluid Film now.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

Depends on what he has, I'm thinking there the old style based on his Aviator pic. If so they can be had for $45.

6. uniquechev

uniquechev Member

Ya there a $100 a piece. Its a MM1. I'm just tryn to take the easy way out for being cheep this yr. Plus i'm going to have to spend some money one the up and down piston as well cause that is leaking . Baught the plow used and i found out all these probs after i baught it. should of done a little more testing before i left the lot with it . The seal replacments for the angle pistons are $30 but the dealer told me good luck getting them loose and that i would be better off buying the pistons and others have told me the same . didnt know if you guys out there know differently.

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Can try a salvage yard for cheap $$$......but again you never know what you are going to get.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

I dug out my old receipt from my overhaul last year. $90.86 at Donavon's for a PAIR of them 20117K. I think it was when Fisher dealers were selling parts at discount last fall / winter. Might want to give them a call if you decide to go new.

9. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Cocking?:laughing:

10. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

they dont have packing kits for them ????

11. RepoMan207

from Maine

You want to pack your what?????? Good god man, Thats just sick.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Viewer Discretion is Advised!

13105838.jpg

13105838.jpg

13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Just slap new ones on. If the pistons are starting to rust, it will still lose fluid and collect moisture. IIRC I paid $80 each for new ones on my western ProPlow last year. Also, put new hoses on at the same time.

14. tuna

tuna Senior Member

You could try cleaning up the pistons with some scotchbrite or some cheesecloth and tightening up the packing nuts.

15. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

my lift piston seems to have a ring of fluid on the top of the cylinder everytime it lifts up. seems to be a small leak, since it is holding preassure im just going to watch the fluid levels and leak.

16. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

17. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Try tightening the packing nut ....When you park it for the spring spray it(RAMS) with some F&F or lithium grease for the season....Avoids rust....It's called Maintenance.... Lube all pins TOO ......