1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pirelli Scorpion STR tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Belleaire Care, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

Just sold my old F-250 and picked up an 08 F-250 with snow pkg. This truck is fitted with Pirelli Scorpion STR M and S tires ( LT 265 70R 17) Load Range 'E'.

I was gettin prepared to buy the kind of tires I usually use for plowing... but not looking forward to dropping $1100 required to do so!

These tires do not have the 'aggressive' tread but more of a 'narrow cut' tread on them. I went to a local big tire dealer in town and he offered me a good deal on Goodrich A/T silent armor tires ($260 each, installed). However, the dealer recognised the Pirelli STR's and suggested I save my money as the Pirelli will do the job pushin snow.

Does any one have experience using these Pirellis for commercial plowing ?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. tires

I used the Pirelli tires for one season
    Not because I didnt like them
    I didnt take them off in the summer and wore them out.

I recall that they are soft and bite well.
    Discount tire will sipe them for cheap if they are warn down

I dont have any attraction to the Good Years
    I picked up some summer tread to get by and looking forward to putting on snows
    tc

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

idk but i have those scorpions and they feel like donuts to me so i dont know how they would do plowing. 36 k for a truck should come with some meat underneath it.

4. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

Pirellis

Hi guys,

Thanks Avitare and Iceyman for your comments and info. Much appreciated.

Iceyman, your '08 also came fitted with the Pirelli STRs ? I'm going to try them out in the snow with the Fisher 'v' ... will let you know how they are.

BTW have used Cooper Discoverers and Uniroyal Laredos before and they were good. (different tire size tho.)

Thanks again guys!

Mike

' 08 F-250
    Fisher X V
    Irish backhoe

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A friend HAD a set of his ford and he has a V-box in the back too for weight..
    Keyword"HAD"
    There were great for spinning but poor for traction

I was not impressed.

6. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

Pirelli

Hi SnoFarmer,

Many thanks for the info. Wow ! all that weight and still spins ! Thats baaad ! I won't even have a spreader on the back either ( just loose salt or sand). Any suggestions for a good LT 265 70R 17 for plowing ?

Thanks again,
    Mike

' 08 F-250
    Fisher X V
    Irish back hoe

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

hey bellaire i am not gonna be using my 08 for snow. if i was going to i would definetly get some different tread. they dont feel like they would be good on ice or while plowing. jmo

hopefully they work out for you and you dont have to go out and spend another
    G on a new truck. thats why i havent got new tires for mine.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My 06 F250 SD came with these on it and I thought they would be terrible BUT....to my surprise, these things hooked up great! I always had half a pallet of salt in the bed but often plowed in 2wd! BTW I also plowed with a Fisher V.

9. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

Pirellis

Hi guys,
    Thanks again Iceyman and thanks Brian Young.

Mike

10. ordered my tires today

Going to try the Coopers this year.
    Primarily to get 16 in rims and go taller and narrower.
    We have 15 in stock size with 31s. Smaller truck (Bronco) and hard
    to carry more weight.

My Plowsite friends recommend studs but that has been out lawed
    in Michigan for (?over) 20 years.
    Guys used to tractionize their tires with a needle imbedded set of wheels,
    or cut with a heated cutter or even an old fashioned draw knife as the wheel
    was kept wet in a tub.
    But now I rely on 'siping' from Discount tire ( who will redo the sipes as the tire
    wears) Major improvement on a marginal tire.
    The Coopers come siped. I have been siping the BFGs for years.

But, note, I am planning on taking the Coopers off in the spring. Better fuel milage
    quieter, and too good of a tire to wear out because it is cool looking
    tc

11. Belleaire Care

Belleaire Care Member

Cooper tires

Hi Avitare,
    Good call on the Coopers. Thanks for the Discount 'siping' info too.

M