1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pipe on bucket???

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Clint S, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Would putting a split pipe over the cutting edge of my bucket keep me from digging in when I am moving snow with my bucket. I know it works well for plows and gravel, how bout for a bucket. I dig in the lawn and driveway every now and then when I am moving banks back or using the bucket to push snow if it is too heavy for the truck.

2. leon

leon Senior Member

pipe etc.

There is no reason you cannot
    install a piece of pipe on the
    front loader scooping edge.

The pipe will work well for this
    as the cutting edge will be kept from
    digging in when in float or otherwise

You wil have to decide how to secure
    the pipe to the bucket-perhaps 2 pieces
    of chain welded to the ends of the pipe
    to hold it in place.

3. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

The chain is a good idea. I was also thinking of welding 2 or 3 tabs on the pipe, drilling and just bolting it on

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

why not mark your driveway edge? then pick up the bucket as your approach?

i think you will create a good bit of ice with that pipe by compressing the snow. just a thought.

5. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I only occasionally have to plow the driveway with the bucket, like when we get 4 feet overnight and they were only calling for 4 inches. Even then I roughly clear with the bucket and then do final cleaning with the plow. 95% of the time I am moving back banks and the banks are on the lawn. If I had to scrape I would take off the pipe.

6. meborder

meborder Senior Member

Ok, so i'm new to the forum, so maybe there is something that i'm missing.

What is the big concern with leaving some ice or snow pack? Being that i have a gravel driveway and the path back to my shed is grass (overgrown gravel, most likely), i purposly try to keep a few inches of snow pack so that i dont dig into the gravel.

I'm liking the idea of a round cutting edge as well, for both the loader and the plow. I broke my loader 2 years ago when i was trying to scrape horse manure off the concrete behind the barn. The cutting edge caught a crack and broke the loader, i think with a round edge you could still scrape some, but not catch every crack in the pad.

maybe i'm missing something, but an inch or two of snowpack is a good thing in my book.

7. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I think the biggest reason to scrape down as close as possible is that over time your drive or what ever area you plow will become much higher than the surrounding areas. Then when you get a warm spell you are dealing with 8 to 12 inches of super heavy slush that is a pain to clear. If you do not clear it in time and then add in quick thaw and freeze cycles in the spring and you could be dealing with icy ruts that are a huge PIA. Where I live where we get 200 or so inches of snow and I have a gravel drive. Even with the plow I still get 6 or so inches of a base that I have to scape with the bucket when it thaws or I get a mess..