1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pink, Foamy Trans Fluid In Plow ???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by neu-rich, Dec 17, 2013.

1. neu-rich

neu-rich Junior Member

Older Curtis Plow.. Plow Is Very Slow.. Fuild In Pink And Foamy Like... Going To Change Tonight ... I Think It Has Water In The Fluid, Because It Wouldnt Work When I First Hooked Up.. Put In Garage And De-Frosted Now Its Slow.. Fuild Is Pink Looking..

Water ???
    Pump Shot ???

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Water , change a few times a winter
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Thats what water looks like in atf. Most likely filter is clogged with frozen water crystals causing it to aerate the fluid.
  4. neu-rich

neu-rich Junior Member

Is There A Better Oil Then ATF To Use In This System ???

Is There A Filter In This Plow ???? Only Filter I See Is The Cap, Has A Vent Filter... ???

5. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Make sure you don't have any leaks anywhere.

I know its not the same application but our riding mower at a leaky seal around the filter which caused it to foam up and the machine would run erratically. If you let it sit for overnight it would work fine because the foam would settle down but after a few minutes it was unusable again. Might be what other have said but this was my experience with hydros.
  6. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

You can try aircraft hydo oil. Its a low temp oil called ESSO UNIVIS J13, I use that in replace of blizzard oil as blizzard oil is crazy expensive for the amount I need for 3 plows. Or you can just run blizzard oil. I'm not sure what the oil type is the Boss or Fisher Western use. Some oils are just ATF oil and then they add a color dye and call it there own distinct brand and make you pay twice what it worth because it says fisher or whatever on the bottle.
  7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Mil-H-5606: Mineral base, flammable, fairly low flashpoint, usable from −65 °F (−54 °C) to 275 °F (135 °C), red color
    Aircraft hydraulic oil =BOSS oil
    This stuff is made for the cold as you can see. It is red but it is not ATF , ATF is made to run at temp not cold.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Water. Change it, running it a couple times and change it again.
  9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Plows use hydraulic oil with antifreeze basically

Atf is fine in a pinch, but plow oil works bettwr
  10. neu-rich

neu-rich Junior Member

UpDate !!!

Looks Like It Froze And Blew The o-Ring Seal Between The Hydro Block And The Pump... Bought New O-Rings This Morning And Will Install Tonight...

11. ppkgmsy

ppkgmsy Member
    from Vermont

I had wondered about the difference between the plow oil and atf. Thanks.