1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pink/Blue Rock Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by bolensdriver, Nov 29, 2004.

1. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I have seen pink & blue rock salt. Why is it pink and blue? I think they are both made by halite. But I don't know why they are this color. Is it a chemical?

2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

yes it is chemical.
  3. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

keeps it separate

Yes, the blue or pink is an added chemical. Mostly used by big operations, or even municipal places. It's an absolute must if you're storing bulk salt which is outdoors and exposed to the elements.

If regular salt gets wet, it will clump together, and you'll have a terrible time either clogging the port, or it won't fall through your gate on top of a V spreader.

The chemical keeps it from sticking together, even when exposed to the outdoors.....it'll cost ya quite a bit more $$ too!
  4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

The school in my town uses pink. And a local church used to use blue. I liked it though.

The pink came in big GIANT boxes... I remember because I used it, it was made by Diamond Crystal I think. And it was in like 5 foot tall boxes.